Province Maintaining Existing Food and Nutrition Policy

first_imgThe province is maintaining the existing food and nutrition policy for public schools. Education Minister Ramona Jennex clarified today, June 6, that the policy is not intended to ban items such as cakes from school and community celebrations. A memo sent from provincial staff to schools last month raised questions about how spring flings are treated under the policy. “The policy hasn’t changed,” said Ms. Jennex. “Childhood obesity is a serious concern and it is crucial for us, as a society, to promote healthy living. “But I know spring flings traditionally have an important role in many communities, and I look to principals, parents and school advisory councils to use common sense and make good choices on what is appropriate at these events.” The Food and Nutrition Policy was introduced in 2006, after the province received feedback from more than 1,000 Nova Scotians, including parents, school staff, education partners and health professionals. The policy is intended to ensure that healthy food choices are the most accessible choices in schools. Section 6.1 makes allowance for less-nutritious food alongside healthy options at special functions, including spring flings. The policy is reviewed every two years and will be reviewed again in the coming school year. “We will continue to consult parents, schools and our partners in health and education, and only make changes based on consultation,” Ms. Jennex said. “We must work together to teach our children that the healthy choice is the best choice.” The province will release a comprehensive plan to tackle childhood obesity later this week. That plan is based on advice from more than 1,100 groups and people who participated in the consultation. The food and nutrition policy is online at www.ednet.ns.ca/healthy_eating .last_img read more

Increase in Arrivals From Russia

Story Highlights The Ministry of Tourism is reporting an increase in arrivals from Russia.Senior Advisor and Strategist, Delano Seiveright, said that just under 3,000 Russian tourists visited the island between January and the end of June compared to roughly 630 for the same period in 2018.“Much of this is attributable to new, regular nonstop flights between Moscow, Russia and Montego Bay by PegasTouristik/Nordwind, which commenced service on October 26 last year,” he noted.Mr. Seiveright was speaking to JIS News following a meeting with Russian and other European tourism stakeholders at the Jamaica Product Exchange (JAPEX) trade show at the Montego Bay Convention Centre, St. James, on September 10.He noted that the Ministry has made a conscious effort to target the Eastern European market.“There was a time when our marketing was restricted to just the United Kingdom (UK) and a few other countries in Western Europe. The Eastern bloc was basically ignored and appeared impossible and off limits,” he said.He noted that in September of 2018, the Governments of Jamaica and Russia signed a reciprocal agreement to waive the visa requirement for travel to their respective countries, spending up to 90 days per year for tourism, cultural exchange or business purposes.Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith; and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Sergei Lavrov, signed the agreement on the margins of the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.“This was a major step in the right direction,” Mr. Seiveright noted.In the meantime, Chilean Tour Operator, Teo Perez, told JIS News that Jamaica continues to be a prime destination for tourists from Latin American countries.“We have been selling Jamaica for the past 10 years and every day we see the numbers going up,” he noted.“We have clients flying out from Santiago to Panama and then into Montego Bay daily, plus other flights going through Miami into Kingston. This trend is showing no signs of slowing down and Jamaica’s arrival figures will only continue to increase,” he said. Senior Advisor and Strategist, Delano Seiveright, said that just under 3,000 Russian tourists visited the island between January and the end of June compared to roughly 630 for the same period in 2018. “Much of this is attributable to new, regular nonstop flights between Moscow, Russia and Montego Bay by PegasTouristik/Nordwind, which commenced service on October 26 last year,” he noted. The Ministry of Tourism is reporting an increase in arrivals from Russia. read more