January 15, 2021 Find out more The appeal of journalist Sergei Duvanov against his 28 January convictionfor the alleged rape of a minor will be heard on 11 March. Duvanov wassentenced to three and half years in prison after an investigation and trialmarred by many irregularities and violations of his rights as a defendant. News February 5, 2021 Find out more RSF_en October 30, 2020 Find out more March 7, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Sergei Duvanov appeal hearing: A chance for the authorities to finally let justice be done Follow the news on Kazakhstan Help by sharing this information to go further KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia Kazakh reporter accuses police of attacking her Regional newspaper editor harassed after investigating real estate scandal News Reporters prevented from covering Kazakh parliamentary elections Reporters Without Borders today called on the authorities of Kazakhstan to finally let justice be done when the regional court of Taldy-Korgan (350 km. from Almaty) on 11 March hears the appeal of journalist Sergei Duvanov against his 28 January conviction for the alleged rape of a minor, for which he received a sentence of three and half years in prison.”The Kazakh authorities should bear in mind that Sergei Duvanov’s appeal is a democratic test for their country, and that they still have a chance to show their support for due process,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said.”The harassment to which Duvanov and all the independent and opposition media are subjected in Kazakhstan would suggest that this case is politically motivated,” Ménard said. “The Kazakh judicial system has not so far dealt with Duvanov in a fair and open manner. On the contrary, there were many irregularities in the investigation and constant violation of defence rights during the trial itself.”The European Parliament passed a resolution on 13 February demanding Duvanov’s immediate release and voicing deep concern about the investigation, prosecution and sentence. On 30 January, the US government also expressed its disquiet about the sentence. The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) on 28 January criticised the legal irregularities and lack of evidence supporting the charges and urged the appeal court to take account of these shortcomings when it considered the case.The editor of Bulletin, an opposition magazine published by the International Bureau for Human Rights, Duvanov was arrested on 28 October last year and accused of raping a 14-year-old girl. He had been due to fly the next day to the United States to present a report on democracy and human rights in Kazakhstan. He went on hunger strike for 10 days to protest his innocence. At a press conference at the European Commission in Brussels on 29 November, President Nursultan Nazarbayev said Duvanov’s guilt had been proved. When Duvanov’s trial opened on 24 December, his lawyers were not allowed to examine the entire case file. Viewing the proceedings as a farce, Duvanov dismissed his lawyers on 23 January, the day after the court rejected their motion for the charges to be dropped for lack of evidence and because of the many legal irregularities.Duvanov is one of the government’s most outspoken critics and regularly denounces the harassment of the independent media and opposition. He is also being prosecuted for “affront to the honour and dignity” of President Nazarbayev. On 28 August last year, he was beaten up by thugs and badly injured.During a fact-finding mission to Almaty in July last year, a Reporters Without Borders representative met several times with Duvanov. He spoke of the intimidation and harassment to which he had been subjected by the authorities and predicted that they would probably accuse him in a sex or drugs scandal. “I’m still free and in good health,” he said, “but this cannot last.”Kazakh human rights groups and opposition journalists say the security services often try to implicate the government’s opponents in scandals in order. KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia Receive email alerts News Organisation News
RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Advertisement TAGSdr liam glynnfeaturedhealthhypertension No vaccines in Limerick yet Vicky calls for right to die with dignity Limerick on Covid watch list Print Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Previous articleTogher Talk – Michael StoranNext articleLimerick lensman making waves Liam Togherhttp://www.limerickpost.ieLiam joined the Limerick Post in December 2012, having previously worked in other local media organisations. He holds an MA in Journalism from the University of Limerick and is particularly interested in sports writing. Linkedin NewsHealthLifestyleHigh blood pressure affects one in four Irish adultsBy Liam Togher – May 30, 2013 1049 Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Twitter Facebook Hospital bosses deny claims of manipulating trolley figures WhatsApp ONE quarter of the adult population in Ireland is affected by hypertension, the medical term for high blood pressure.That’s according to Dr Liam Glynn, who was speaking during the Irish Heart Foundation’s (IHF) recent campaign for World Hypertension Day which included free blood pressure checks across the country, with the busiest stop being the Crescent Shopping Centre in Dooradoyle, where more than 120 people availed of the facility.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Dr Glynn explained that the condition, despite affecting a quarter of the adult population, can be very difficult to diagnose and that adequate treatment is essential.“It is symptomless so we won’t know if people have it and it is very dangerous because it is a significant cause of heart attacks and strokes, which we are trying to prevent due to their implications.”Dr Glynn stated that only one in three adults with hypertension are diagnosed with the condition, and that only 33 per cent of those diagnosed are treated to an adequate level.He stressed the importance of going for a blood pressure check, as hypertension is difficult to spot but very preventable.“The best way to spot hypertension is to get your blood pressure checked. That’s the big message we’re trying to get across that no matter how stressed, fit or overweight a person is, they could have high blood pressure.As blood pressure increases with age, Dr Glynn recommends that any person over the age of 50 should get a blood pressure check every six months, and the same for any person who has been diagnosed with hypertension.He added that lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, weight loss and a low fat diet can help to ease people’s blood pressure.“I recommend exercising for 20 minutes a day, five days a week and weight loss also helps as there is a direct relationship between weight and high blood pressure. Reduce your salt intake and stick to a low fat diet, and if you are diagnosed, it’s important that you are on the right treatment and that you take your medication every day.”
Governor Phil Murphy has recently signed an executive order to reinstate measures to help curb the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.“Getting tested – even if you are asymptomatic – and self-quarantining for 14 days if you are positive are essential to limiting the spread of this infectious disease,” Prilutsky said. “Knowledge is a powerful tool that can save lives and ensure that our hard-working healthcare workers on the front lines are not overwhelmed by this surge.”Testing and primary care appointments are available at the following locations:519 Broadway, Suite 3100, Bayonne, 551-214-35001825 Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, 201-942-4545317 Central Avenue, Jersey City, 201-839-2640Please call the individual locations for more information and to schedule an appointment. × With the surge of new cases in New Jersey, RWJBarnabas Health Medical Group and Jersey City Medical Center are offering swab-free COVID-19 testing with a primary care appointment at three convenient Hudson County locations.“Our efforts are to ensure that we have enough community testing and access to physicians to meet what we anticipate will be growing demand through the fall and winter,” said Jersey City Medical Center President and CEO Michael Prilutsky.
Following the six-day shutdown of UK horse racing last week, the Racing Post has reported that bookmakers have taken a £10m hit as a result. The flu outbreak, which is estimated to have cost the racing industry somewhere in the region of £15m, led to the temporary lock-down of 174 racing yards and an industry-wide halt on the sport as a bid to contain the virus.Simon Clare, PR Director for Ladbrokes Coral, addressed the estimated £10m figure: “The £10m loss of gross win to bookmakers is an industry-wide estimate, but feels like it’s in the right ballpark in terms of lost turnover and gross win on horse racing due to all the fixtures that didn’t take place over the 6 days. “A decent proportion of this lost turnover did switch to other products that we offered in retail and online such as international racing, greyhounds, virtual racing, sports and football.”Fortunately, the total fallout may not be as bleak as initially predicted as bookmakers often account for racing cancellations: “It is also important to note that during this period of the year, we often lose a proportion of UK horse racing fixtures to extreme weather, so betting operators would budget for an average year of abandonment,” Clare added.“We have had a very mild winter so in terms of weather-related abandonments we are ahead of the curve, so the loss of UK racing to this unexpected Equine Flu issue, can be offset against what we would have expected to have lost in a typical year to weather.”During the hiatus from racing, racecourses are said to have revenue losses in the ball-park of £3.5m: £2m losses for Arena Racing Company (ARC) tracks; £1.5m for Racecourse Media Group tracks. But following the British Racecourse Association (BHA) decision to reschedule a number of fixtures, both bookmakers and racecourses are hoped to make up for the losses. Clare concluded: “All in all, the six day shutdown cost betting operators revenue but nothing out of the ordinary given the nature of the horse racing business and we expect a bounce back tomorrow with the 9 race card at Ascot, and most importantly an interruption-free build up to the big betting festivals ahead – Cheltenham and Aintree.” GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 Related Articles Share StumbleUpon Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season August 21, 2020 Submit Share Spotlight delivers Racing Post translated services for Pari-Engineering Russia August 26, 2020