Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Twitter Previous articleTriathlon – Limerick’s O’Brien set for Baku Triathlon #videoNext article43 shorts in Tres Court Fest John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie TAGSeditorialhealthHSElimerickuniversity hospital limerick Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsEditorial – Illness and indignityBy John Keogh – June 11, 2015 916 Linkedin WhatsApp Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Print AT THE age of 101, the elderly woman who was left on a trolley in the emergency department at University Hospital Limerick for 25 hours has lived through the 1916 rising, two world wars, and no doubt seen her fair share of illness and life’s ups and downs.Having paid her taxes and charges her whole life and dedicated years to looking after a family, it’s not asking too much to expect to be looked after when she falls ill in her later years.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up At such an advanced age, she is presumably quite frail and vulnerable and needs a little extra care.In a developed country with a supposedly advanced healthcare system, patients do not expect to be left waiting five hours for an ambulance.They do not expect to see a queue of 11 ambulances waiting outside the hospital for up to three hours as there is nowhere to put the patients.And, at 101 years old, they expect to be treated with a little dignity, not left on a trolley in a busy hospital with little or no privacy or comfort for an entire day, which is just what happened to an elderly Clare woman in University Hospital Limerick this week.Not only that, but the granddaughter of an 81-year-old woman also contacted the Limerick Post this week revealing that her grandmother, who also waited on a trolley for 24 hours, was left sitting on a commode for two hours. She was then put in adult nappies as the hospital didn’t have sufficient staff to help her use the toilet.The nurses themselves were so upset and frustrated over the conditions in the UHL emergency department last week that one of them even urged the woman’s granddaughter to contact the press to help highlight the issue.The HSE apologised for the delays experienced by patients last week, but apologies are only words, words that we have heard time and time again in recent years, and they mean nothing if they are not followed up with actions that will prevent these situations from happening again. Advertisement Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Facebook Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Email
A Buncrana councillor has described the fire on Buncrana’s Main Street last night as ‘awful’, but says the one positive is that no lives were lost and no injuries were reported.Cllr Rena Donaghey lives in Aghilly, a mile outside Buncrana, and says she could clearly see the flames from her house……..Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/renadfire.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Pinterest Buncrana fire was “awful” – Donaghey Homepage BannerNews WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ Pinterest Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Google+ Facebook Facebook By News Highland – February 4, 2019 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleMagees win 11th National title in 12 yearsNext articleExperts prepare to assess damage caused by Buncrana fire News Highland Twitter Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic
SPF, which took the initiative to restart the merger talks, said the agreement could significantly contribute to its mission, vision and strategy, as well as retaining the connection with the public transport sector.It also cited improved options for cost reduction, board continuity and expertise as well as innovation of products and services.The railways scheme had already improved its sustainability by simplifying its pension plan and asset management policy. It had also moved IT to the cloud for cost and security reasons.SPOV made clear that it needed to grow in order to keep costs down and efficiently implement its pension arrangements. Back on track: SPF and SPOV have agreed to a merger after talks in 2016 collapsedAccording to the pension funds, final decisions on the merger will be made in the autumn of this year, with the merged scheme expected to become operational at the end of 2019. The integration of SPF Beheer was scheduled to be completed at the end of 2020.The pension funds – which have 104,000 members and 93 employers between them – said they wanted to integrate SPF Beheer into the new organisation. They said they were currently working with the provider to improve efficiency and the security of its IT services.SPOV said that the project management of the latter would be outsourced, while the fiduciary arrangements at SPF Beheer would also be improved.At year-end, funding of SPF and SPOV stood at 115.1% and 109,1%, respectively, which enabled them to grant their participants and pensioners inflation-linked payments of 0.64% and 0.14%, respectively.SPF’s investment portfolio lost 0.8% in 2018, while SPOV lost 0.7%.SPF reported administration costs per participant of €118, and spent 39bps on asset management and 6bps on transactions.SPOV said its costs per participant amounted to €142, after negotiations with SPF Beheer resulted in a €24-per-person discount.Its asset management and transaction costs were 43bps and 7bps, respectively. Dutch railways pension fund SPF and public transport scheme SPOV have agreed to merge, creating a €21bn sector scheme.The pension funds planned to integrate their shared asset manager and administrator SPF Beheer in the deal, they indicated in their annual reports for 2018.Earlier merger talks between SPF and SPOV collapsed in 2016 after the schemes concluded that a merger would not provide sufficient benefits for their participants.The €3.9bn SPOV, being the smaller partner, in particular feared that it would lose its identity and questioned the quality and continuity of service provision by SPF Beheer.
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… German reserve Dennis Schroder added 22, New Zealand center Steven Adams contributed 11 points – including his first NBA three-pointer – and 11 rebounds. Chris Paul had 14 points and 12 assists for the Thunder. Pelicans rookie star Zion Williamson scored a game-high 32 points in his 10th NBA contest while JJ Redick added 24 points off the bench for New Orleans. – Celtics honor Garnett – The Celtics announced Thursday that Kevin Garnett, who helped Boston capture the 2008 NBA crown, will have his number 5 jersey retired next season, the 24th former player so honored by the club. Read Also: NBA: Booker to replace ailing Lillard in All-Star Game “I’m honored and thankful to have my number retired with the Celtics,” Garnett said. He was the 2008 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and an NBA All-Star in five of his six seasons with the Celtics. In 396 games for Boston, Garnett averaged 15.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.0 blocks a game. Jayson Tatum scored 39 points, two off his career high, and Marcus Smart added 31 on Thursday to lift the Boston Celtics over the Los Angeles Clippers 141-133 in double overtime. Tatum hit 14-of-23 from the floor, 5-of-10 from three-point range, and grabbed nine rebounds in more than 47 minutes while playing tough defense against Kawhi Leonard to send the Celtics into the NBA All-Star Game break as winners. Boston’s Jayson Tatum, left, reacts to a turnover by Kawhi Leonard of the Los Angeles Clippers on Thursday in Boston’s 141-133 double-overtime triumph “This was a tough one,” Tatum said. “It’s nice to go to the All-Star break with a win and enjoy those moments off.” Tatum’s hot night came after a 5-for-15 shooting effort and 0-for-7 three-point performance earlier in the week against Houston. “Just a lot of hard work,” Tatum said of his sizzling shooting. “My teammates trust me and vice versa. We do a good job of getting the hot guy the ball whoever it is.” Tatum struck for two late hoops in overtime, a layup over Leonard with 24.8 seconds remaining to put Boston ahead 127-124. But Landry Shamet’s three-pointer pulled the Clippers level and sent the game into a second extra period, which the Celtics dominated to claim the triumph. Lou Williams came off the Clippers’ bench to score 35 points while Leonard had 28 points and 11 rebounds. Montrezl Harrell added 24 points and 13 rebounds. In the only other game on the last night of contests before the NBA All-Star Game break, Italian forward Danilo Gallinari scored 29 points on 12-of-18 shooting to lead the Oklahoma City Thunder to a 123-118 victory at New Orleans. Promoted ContentWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?Who Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way10 Greatest Disney Female Villains We Love AnywaysCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeGorgeous Staircases That Will Take Your Breath Away8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits EarthWhat Happens When You Eat Eggs Every Single Day?
Brookville, In. — On Sunday, May 19 the statue of Lew Wallace was dedicated on the Franklin County Courthouse lawn in Brookville. Wallace was born in Brookville in 1827 and is credited with helping to defend the city of Cincinnati during the Civil War.The project was funded by a grant received by the Franklin County Historical Society and managed by Wayne Bauer. The ceremony was highlighted by the 11th Indiana Infantry Company D, Civil War re-enactors.Wayne BauerIn 1846 he was a member of Zachary Taylor’s Army, he mustered out in 1847 as a first lieutenant and did not see combat. After law school, he served as a prosecuting attorney in Indiana’s first congressional district and also served in the Indiana Senate as a Democrat.Wallace returned to the military following the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter. He participated in the battle at Shiloh and in 1862 successfully repelled an attack on Cincinnati by “Braxton Bragg’s Incursion.” Wallace also participated in the defense against John Hunt Morgan’s raid into southern Indiana.He was a diplomat, author and inventor later in life. He died at the age of 77 in Crawfordsville, Indiana.Terry Fergason, Lew Wallace impersonatorHis maternal grandfather, John Test was a circuit court judge and U.S. Congressman and his father was a graduate of the United States Military Academy, served in the Indiana General Assembly, Indiana Lt. Governor and Governor.
July 6, 2020 The Rugby Football Union will begin consulting with staff before announcing the redundancies at the end of August, chief executive Bill Sweeey said on Monday.“To ensure we have a sustainable RFU we have announced to colleagues that it is proposed that the total number of roles across the organisation will reduce by 139,” he wrote on the union website.“We have already made some significant cost savings. We furloughed 60% of our organisation; implemented a three-month pay reduction which has been extended for some; introduced pension pauses; and refined business planning and introduced stadium and office running efficiencies to reduce costs.“Unfortunately, this is not enough to run a sustainable operation and safeguard our future.”Sweeney predicts it will take five years for the RFU to recover, and the union will lose 20% of its normal revenue over that period. ___Two players on the Indiana Fever were among the seven positive tests for the coronavirus across the WNBA, the team announced.The league and teams didn’t reveal who the players were. All 137 WNBA players were tested over the past week as the teams prepared to head to Florida on Monday for the upcoming season, which will be played at IMG Academy.The Fever will delay their travel by at least five days to self-quarantine in case any of them came into close contact with the infected players.The WNBA hopes to start training camp later this week, with the regular season set to begin around July 24. Tiafoe, a quarterfinalist at the 2019 Australian Open, will not be paid for this season.______Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis has opted out of the 2020 season.The 36-year-old Markakis said he was uneasy about playing the season without fans and then was swayed by his telephone conversation with teammate Freddie Freeman, who has tested positive for COVID-19 and has fever and other symptoms.“Just hearing him, the way he sounded on the phone, it was tough,” Markakis said Monday. “It was kind of eye-opening. What everything that’s going on, not just with baseball but all over the world, it makes you open your eyes.” Major League Baseball and the players’ association announced Friday that 31 players and seven staff members tested positive for COVID-19 during intake for the resumption of training, a rate of 1.2%. Teams resumed workouts Friday for the first time since the coronavirus interrupted spring training on March 12, two weeks before the season was to start.___The Washington Nationals have canceled Monday morning’s team workout because of COVID-19 testing delays.Players and staff were tested Friday, and general manager Mike Rizzo says the team still hasn’t received its results. Rizzo said it’s not safe to continue holding camp without accurate and timely testing and that the workout was canceled to prevent putting players and staff at risk.Rizzo says: Major League Baseball “needs to work quickly to resolve issues with their process and their lab. Otherwise, summer camp and the 2020 season are at risk.” The Latest: England rugby laying off 139 staff But the Titans say the coronavirus pandemic makes it “increasingly likely” that NFL teams will be playing in front of fewer fans this season.___The National Hockey League says 35 total players have tested positive for the coronavirus over roughly the past month.The league says 23 of 396 players checked for COVID-19 at team facilities have tested positive since voluntary workouts began June 8, a 5% rate. In that same period of time, it is aware of 12 additional positive test results.The NHL and NHL Players’ Association on Sunday night agreed on protocols to start training camps and resume the season. That includes daily testing once games get under way for players, coaches and staff. ___Count the Tennessee Titans among the NFL teams offering season-ticket holders the option of opting out of this season and putting that money toward 2021 or getting a refund.The Titans sent a letter to their season-ticket holders Monday. The team also posted a notice on its website.Tennessee told season-ticket holders the team suspended any payment plans July 1 for this season.Team officials will be working with state and local governments on how many fans will be allowed to attend games at Nissan Stadium, which seats approximately 69,143. Associated Press Markakis became the second Braves player to opt out. Over the weekend, pitcher Félix Hernández said he wouldn’t play this year.Dodgers pitcher David Price, Washington infielder Ryan Zimmerman and Colorado outfielder Ian Desmond are among the other players who have opted out.Following nine seasons with Baltimore, Markakis was entering his sixth season with Atlanta. He was competing for a spot in a crowded Braves outfield following the offseason signing of Marcel Ozuna.Manager Brian Snitker plans to play Ozuna and Ronald Acuña Jr. every game, though Ozuna could be the designated hitter. Markakis, Ender Inciarte, Adam Duvall and others were competing other spots and were joined by rookies Cristian Pache and Drew Waters.Markakis hit .285 with nine homers and 62 RBIs in 2019, a year after he was an All-Star. He said he doesn’t know how opting out could affect his hopes for playing in 2021. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___England rugby will lay off 139 positions because it expects to lose 107 million pounds ($134 million) in revenue in the short term. Resuming is contingent on each side approving an extension of the collective bargaining agreement and the return to play agreement.___Milwaukee Brewers manager Craig Counsell says shortstop Luis Urias and pitcher Angel Perdomo tested positive for COVID-19 before the intake process.Counsell says both players are asymptomatic.This marks the second setback for Urias since the Brewers acquired him from San Diego in November. Urias, who is expected to compete with incumbent Orlando Arcia for the starting shortstop job, underwent surgery in January to repair a broken bone in his left hand. ___Frances Tiafoe will not play in the World TeamTennis season after testing positive for the coronavirus.The American was playing in a weekend tournament in Atlanta and was tested after feeling symptoms during his match on Friday. He withdrew from the event the following day and said he was following the recommended quarantine protocol.He was set to play for the Washington Kastles during the World TeamTennis season, set for July 12 to Aug. 2. It’s being played entirely at The Greenbrier in West Virginia because of the pandemic, instead of around the country as usual.Under league rules, a player had to test negative before being allowed to travel to the resort. The league announced Monday that because Tiafoe’s positive test was within the advance travel window, he was ineligible to compete this season. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports