Help by sharing this information August 21, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newly released journalist rearrested after appealing against banishment Receive email alerts November 12, 2019 Find out more TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa November 11, 2020 Find out more News to go further News Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” December 26, 2019 Find out more News Tunisia : RSF asks Tunisian president’s office to respect journalists Reporters Without Borders today protested against the arrest of journalist Abdallah Zouari of the banned weekly Al Fajr on 19 August, just 10 weeks after his release upon completing more than 10 years in prison. His arrest appears to stem from a recent administrative order issued by the interior ministry banishing him to the south of the country.”This arrest is unacceptable and this administrative measure taken by your department is utterly abusive”, Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter to Interior Minister Hedi M’henni. “The completely arbitrary arrest of a man whose life has been destroyed by more than 10 years in prison is simply inhuman”, the letter said. “We call on you to release this journalist immediately and to rescind this banishment order.”Following his arrest by police in Tunis on 19 August, Zouari was taken to Harboub prison in the governorate of Mednin (southern Tunisia). Although residing in Tunis, he had been notified by an interior ministry letter dated 15 July that he was being banished to Zarzis, in the Mednin governorate. Zouari had not complied, calling the order “arbitrary”, and had appealed to an administrative court which has not yet issued a ruling. On 16 August, three days before his arrest, police had gone to his home in a Tunis suburb, threatening his 80-year-old aunt when they failed to find him there.According to his lawyer, Zouari is accused of having refused to comply with this banishment order. The lawyer says there is no justification for the order inasmuch as Zouari has been residing in the outskirts of Tunis and not in Zarzis, where only part of his family resides. A hearing on the case has been set for 23 August before a Zarzis court.A contributor to Al Fajr, the official mouthpiece of the Islamic movement Ennahda, Zouari was arrested on 12 April 1991 and sentenced to 11 years imprisonment for “belonging to an illegal organisation”. He was also sentenced to five years of administrative control on completion of the jail sentence, which means he must present himself regularly to the police station nearest his home. He was released on 6 June 2002.”What ecstasy to have my pen and paper back, to be able to jot down a few notes without the threat of a meticulous and humiliating body search”, Zouari said to Reporters Without Borders earlier this month. “For years, it was strictly forbidden to have a pen or piece of paper, and there were terrible punishments for those who tried to get them. The threats are still there because, whereas the pen is banned behind bars, it is muzzled outside, in this bigger prison.”The editor of Al Fajr, Hamadi Jebali, has been imprisoned since 1991. After completing a one-year sentence for an article criticizing the system of military courts, he was sentenced by the Tunis military court to 16 years imprisonment for “aggressive intention to change the nature of the state” and “belonging to an illegal organisation”. Follow the news on Tunisia TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa Organisation News Eleven organizations from civil society create the Forum on Information & Democracy, a structural response to information disorder RSF_en
RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Advertisement TAGSdr liam glynnfeaturedhealthhypertension No vaccines in Limerick yet Vicky calls for right to die with dignity Limerick on Covid watch list Print Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Previous articleTogher Talk – Michael StoranNext articleLimerick lensman making waves Liam Togherhttp://www.limerickpost.ieLiam joined the Limerick Post in December 2012, having previously worked in other local media organisations. He holds an MA in Journalism from the University of Limerick and is particularly interested in sports writing. Linkedin NewsHealthLifestyleHigh blood pressure affects one in four Irish adultsBy Liam Togher – May 30, 2013 1049 Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Twitter Facebook Hospital bosses deny claims of manipulating trolley figures WhatsApp ONE quarter of the adult population in Ireland is affected by hypertension, the medical term for high blood pressure.That’s according to Dr Liam Glynn, who was speaking during the Irish Heart Foundation’s (IHF) recent campaign for World Hypertension Day which included free blood pressure checks across the country, with the busiest stop being the Crescent Shopping Centre in Dooradoyle, where more than 120 people availed of the facility.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Dr Glynn explained that the condition, despite affecting a quarter of the adult population, can be very difficult to diagnose and that adequate treatment is essential.“It is symptomless so we won’t know if people have it and it is very dangerous because it is a significant cause of heart attacks and strokes, which we are trying to prevent due to their implications.”Dr Glynn stated that only one in three adults with hypertension are diagnosed with the condition, and that only 33 per cent of those diagnosed are treated to an adequate level.He stressed the importance of going for a blood pressure check, as hypertension is difficult to spot but very preventable.“The best way to spot hypertension is to get your blood pressure checked. That’s the big message we’re trying to get across that no matter how stressed, fit or overweight a person is, they could have high blood pressure.As blood pressure increases with age, Dr Glynn recommends that any person over the age of 50 should get a blood pressure check every six months, and the same for any person who has been diagnosed with hypertension.He added that lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, weight loss and a low fat diet can help to ease people’s blood pressure.“I recommend exercising for 20 minutes a day, five days a week and weight loss also helps as there is a direct relationship between weight and high blood pressure. Reduce your salt intake and stick to a low fat diet, and if you are diagnosed, it’s important that you are on the right treatment and that you take your medication every day.”
She concluded, “[College] have really impressed us by proving that, as they have always said, this was not about the money. All we can do is thank the JCR and MCR members who helped make the petition possible, and thank College for really rising to the occasion!”Dr Maureen Taylor, Sub-Rector of Exeter College, confirmed that the donation will be made.Reverend Mr Stephen Hearn, Chaplain at Exeter and one of the Governing Body members to whom the students’ petition was addressed, commented, “I think it’s an excellent decision and I’m delighted.” Explaining the reasoning behind the decision, he said, “We were keen to show that this was never about conference income.”Benjamin Clayton, Exeter JCR President, was also complimentary about the college’s reaction to the controversy. He said, “As JCR President what has struck me most is the positive and productive way in which the whole of college has dealt with the situation.“Members of the JCR, irrespective of whether they associate with LGBT more generally, have gone out of their way to organise LGBT events, parties and information sessions, to reaffirm Exeter as a place where all are free to flourish intellectually and socially irrespective of sexual orientation.“I believe College’s decision to donate the proceeds of the conference to charity backs this message up, and shows strongly that the JCR, MCR and College are working together to make Exeter the brilliant College we know it is.”Ben Houghton, a third year at Exeter, claimed that allowing the conference to take place at the college was a mistake, arguing, “The fact that college let Christian Concern come in the first place was pretty awful. It should never have been allowed to happen.”However, he praised their decision to donate the profits, saying, “It shows that they are remorseful, and realise that they’ve upset a lot of students.” Exeter College, which over Easter hosted a conference by a controversial Christian group, plans to donate all profits from the event to a charity which supports LGBTQ causes, a decision which has been praised by students.The conference, known as The Wilberforce Academy, was hosted at Exeter during the last vacation by Christian Concern, an organisation which some have labelled homophobic as it supports ‘corrective therapy’ for homosexuals.The college’s decision to donate its profits from the conference comes after a petition was sent to the Rector, Bursar and Chaplain last week, carrying over 150 student signatures and complaining about the behaviour of the conference guests.The petition accused members of Christian Concern of making homophobic remarks to Exeter student Nick Georgiou, comparing his homosexuality to the sexuality of a paedophile and labelling him “immoral.” Conference guests also reportedly distributed anti-abortion leaflets in communal areas in college, and held an anti-Islamic talk.The petition had also criticised the college’s initial handling of the matter, referring to “the indolence of College when it came both to responding to media criticism and to ensuring the behaviour of the conference.”Ella-Mae Lewis, LGBTQ Rep at Exeter, was among many students who praised the college’s reaction to the petition. She said, “Their response was completely overwhelming. All student members with specific issues were invited to speak to the Sub-Rector (the Rector is on sabbatical), and as we requested, a Working Group was set up to vet future Conferences.”The exact size of the donation has yet to be determined, but Lewis claimed, “The Bursar is currently calculating the number, which he’ll be communicating to us: he seems to think it will probably be quite a figure!”The college has not confirmed which charity will receive the money. Lewis said that the Terrence Higgins trust, a British charity that campaigns on AIDS- and HIV-related issues, has been suggested.