Former drug lord’s bodyguard remains in custody

first_imgThe ex-body guard of a popular convicted drug lord remains in custody as Police continue their investigation into the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Ryan Anthony Sergeant at the Rio Night Club on Monday last.A source close to investigations revealed that the Police had applied to the High Court for an extension to further detain the Queenstown resident and this was granted.However, that extension comes to an end today; and as such, the case file is expected to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on the way forward. The man in custody was seen leaving the night club with a firearm in his hand and he remains tight lipped.On the other hand, during initial investigations, one of the men who was arrested with two illegal firearms at a house in Hadfield Street, Georgetown, on Monday, was placed before the court and remanded to prison. The female who was arrested during that operation was released.Sergeant, 19, of Lot 2530 Layton Street, North Ruimveldt, Georgetown, was shot and killed while another teenager remains in a critical state at the Georgetown Public Hospital. The injured teen is Jeffrey Ferrel of North Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown.Sergeant was shot once to the jaw during an exchange of gunfire, which started in the night club and ended outside.Jeffrey Ferrel, of North Ruimveldt, was also shot and injured during the gun battle. After the shooting, the now dead man was picked up by his ‘gang members’ and dropped off at the Woodlands Hospital. It was reported that Ferrel, who is now hospitalised, was involved in an altercation with one of the suspects who in turn left the club with another friend and a female companion.Further reports stated that after the trio left, they were followed by Ferrel and the now dead man and the argument resumed.During the argument, the suspect whipped out a gun and discharged several rounds, hitting Ferrel to the neck and shoulder. Attempting to rescue his shot friend, Sergeant was shot to the jaw. The suspects then fled the scene.It was during the review of the surveillance footage, the three suspects were positively identified.last_img read more