A Confused Magnus Carlsen Escapes With A Draw At The World Chess

My laptop and the brains of those around me liked moving the rook over to h2. From there, it would stare down the juicy far-right column (h-file in chess parlance), which provides a useful conduit into black enemy territory and could have come wide open if some pawns were exchanged. Carlsen did, more or less, the opposite. He moved his king down a square, to g2.Carlsen may have thought that the game was a dead draw and that any move would be a means to that end. He was wrong. The white king on g2 blocked the white rook’s access to the right edge of the board and, possibly, to black’s king. This swung the pendulum swiftly in Karjakin’s favor. “Carlsen played with his hand and not with his brain,” Robert Hess, a grandmaster and chess.com contributor, told me.The Norwegian champ agreed with Hess. “King to g2 is a huge blunder,” a visibly upset Carlsen said at the postgame press conference. Up to this point in the match, Carlsen had generally seemed calm and comfortable, but after this game, he sat disturbed, face in hand, brusquely and testily answering questions. He’d have been halfway to his hotel already, one felt, were it not for his contractual obligations.This blunder may have been due to a clerical error by Carlsen, NRK, Norway’s national broadcaster, reported after the game. Tournament players are required to record on a scoresheet all the moves played during a game. Carlsen, who’s done this many thousands of times, told NRK that he forgot a move earlier in the game. Once a player makes his 40th move, he receives 50 minutes of additional time on his clock. Carlsen received his extra time but initially seemed confused as to why. The king-to-g2 blunder came immediately after, on his 41st move.After Carlsen’s mistake, the players had a full role-reversal, with the Norwegian playing Houdini and the Russian the stifled aggressor. But as the game progressed, Karjakin’s advantage fizzled, Carlsen’s defenses held, and the players agreed to a draw after 51 moves over five hours. The score is tied 2.5-2.5 in this race to 6.5.1Wins are worth 1 point, draws are worth half a point for each player, and losses are worth 0 points.It’s been an impressive streak of draws, but there have been more to open a world championship. Garry Kasparov and Viswanathan Anand fought to eight in a row in 1995, the last time the championship was in New York. But those — only one was longer than 30 moves — pale in comparison to the legendary draws this year. “Gonna be a draw,” a grandmaster texted me as the setting sun cast a red tinge on the East River off lower Manhattan. It was around 5 p.m. on Thursday, and my attention was split between the light filtering through the masts of the tall ships at the pier outside the window and the crucial but lumbering game of chess being played by two geniuses on the other side of the hall. Shortly after 6 p.m., a commotion broke the calm. An official with the World Chess Championship rushed into the press room. The game would end soon, he said, and we should be ready. Sergey Karjakin, the Russian underdog, was winning.This was exciting news indeed. The first four games of the match had ended in draws — two of them epic — between Karjakin and his opponent, the defending world champion and No. 1-rated Magnus Carlsen of Norway. In Thursday’s fifth game, it seemed, there would be blood.In the previous three games, the two players had opened the game with a set of moves called “the Ruy Lopez” — also known as “the Spanish.” On Thursday, they moved across the Mediterranean to play the “Giuoco Piano,” also known as “the Italian.” “Giuoco piano” means “quiet game,” but the opening is known for creating a tense, maneuvering contest. White aims to control the board’s center while black tries not to lose the battle for space.Karjakin, handling the black pieces, came out of this opening battle slightly ahead, according to the computer chess engine Stockfish and a preponderance of onlookers in New York. This was a rarity, as the Russian had previously been relying on costive, defensive goal-line stands simply to stay alive in the championship match.But on the 20th move, a minor theme of the previous games re-emerged, blunting Karjakin’s edge. He faced the following position: Stockfish thought the better play for Karjakin was to move the black bishop back a square, from f5 to g6, which would reveal the black rook and apply further pressure on an already strained board. Karjakin’s human brain, however, preferred trading a bishop for a knight by capturing on c5. As in previous games, Karjakin played more passively than might have been optimal, going with the move that released some of the game’s tension but also perhaps some of his advantage along with it.Nevertheless, the Russian would get another unexpected crack at victory. The game proceeded, quite level, for another 20 moves — solid grandmaster chess — and another draw seemed inevitable. (Hence the text and my staring at the ships.) Eventually, however, Carlsen (playing white) erred when facing the following position on the 41st move: Viswanathan Anand contemplates his move against Gary Kasparov at the World Chess Championship in 1995. JON LEVY / AFP / Getty Images I’d witnessed some 18 hours of play over the previous three game days. On the train on my way home from the venue, the man sitting next to me was staring at his smartphone. He was playing chess.Game 6 begins Friday afternoon. I’ll be covering the rest of the games here and on Twitter.CORRECTION (Nov. 18, 10:47 a.m.): An earlier version of this article misstated the amount of additional time players receive after their 40th move. It is 50 minutes, not an hour. read more

Mens volleyball No 1 Ohio State looking for redemption against No 12

OSU redshirt sophomore middle blocker Blake Lesson goes to serve in the set against No. 4 Long Beach State. OSU won 3-1. Credit: Aliyyah Jackson | Lantern ReporterIn the No. 1 Ohio State men’s volleyball team’s journey to rewrite the record books, all roads lead through No. 12 Ball State.When the Ohio State men’s volleyball team lost in five sets on Feb. 6, 2016, no one thought much of it. It was a close-fought match between two top 15 opponents.That was it.At that point, not many thought OSU would win the national championship. Even fewer thought that the Buckeyes would threaten a school record that has stood for almost half a century.On Thursday in Muncie, Indiana, No. 1 OSU goes for win No. 33 to set the longest win streak in program history when it takes on No. 12 Ball State — the same team that gave the Buckeyes their last defeat.Ball State and OSU’s rivalry goes back to the creation of the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association. The two teams are the only two that still exist from the beginning of the conference. Ironically enough, after going 24-0 in the 1969 season and 8-0 to start the 1970 season, the Buckeyes were defeated by the Cardinals to end their 32-win streak.“When you’ve got that much history, there’s a rivalry there for sure, naturally,” said OSU coach Pete Hanson. “Ball State — I’m sure they circle the Ohio State matches on their calendar every year and I think our guys do too.”OSU comes into the matchup against Ball State with 15 wins over opponents ranked in the top 12 nationally, with six of those wins over teams in the top 5. In this season alone, the Buckeyes have topped teams currently ranked No. 2, No. 3, No. 7 and No. 15 in the country.Hanson credits the team’s success and win streak to the team’s growing maturity over the past two seasons.“What I saw — after that loss to Ball State — I saw somewhat of a renewed commitment by a lot of those older guys — by Gabriel, Miles, Christy — to say we didn’t like this feeling and we’re going to work very hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Hanson said. “Just through their efforts every day in practice and in the weight room, how they approach matches, the attention to detail on the game plan — those are things veterans do that kind of go unnoticed by, as a coaching staff you notice them.”Offensively, OSU will need continued attacking success from team leaders, senior opposite hitter Miles Johnson and senior outside hitter Nicolas Szerszen, to overcome the highly ranked blocking efforts from Ball State’s junior middle hitter Matt Walsh. Walsh ranks second nationally in blocks per set with 1.29. In last season’s losing affair, the Buckeyes won the first two sets by a combined 20 points, only to lose the match in the fifth set, 16-14.“We all looked at that loss and obviously, no one liked it,” Johnson said. “I think that prior to that loss we were on a good winning streak and then that happened. So, then we had to figure out ways where that wouldn’t happen again.”The team found ways to prevent losses over the 23-game win streak, which contained an avenged win against Ball State as well as MIVA and NCAA titles, to close out the 2016 season.In addition to tying the school record for consecutive wins, two other Buckeyes etched their names in school history as both Johnson and Szerszen sit atop the career serving aces list. They are tied at 124.The Buckeyes will be looking to keep make school history against Ball State on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Worthen Arena. read more

Like Europe Libertadores and Sudamericana champions will be decided in only

first_imgCONMEBOL decided today that it will emulate what they do in the UEFA competitions; the organism already decided the 2019 hostsTrying to emulate the success of the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League, CONMEBOL announced today changes in its competitions.Just like in Europe, the next champions of the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana will be decided in only one match, and not two like it currently is.In a report by Argentinean newspaper Clarin, the two host cities have been chosen for the 2019 season.Top 10 legendary football clubs in the history of the game Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – August 19, 2019 Let’s talk about the Top 10 legendary football clubs in the history of the game, the squads that left a massive mark in this…The 2019 Copa Libertadores final will be played in Santiago de Chile, while the 2019 Copa Sudamericana final will be played in Lima, Peru.Three cities wanted to host the finals, with both winners and Montevideo, Uruguay, taking part in the bid process.“These finals will inspire all South Americans to believe in big things,” CONMEBOL President Alejandro Dominguez said.last_img read more

Kaka asks to not compare Paqueta with him

first_imgThe AC Milan Brazilian legend has said his fellow countryman will have a “bright future” in the Italian Lega Serie ACampeonato Brasileiro club Flamengo and Italian Lega Serie A side AC Milan are currently negotiating for Lucas Paqueta.The footballer will be transferred to the Rossoneri in the January transfer window.And many have compared Paqueta with former AC Milan Kaka.“He’s a player who has a bright future ahead of him,” the former midfielder was quoted by Football Italia.“He’s already been called up to the Brazilian national team, but it’s better for him that we don’t make comparisons.”Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusSerie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“I’ve seen so many of them in recent days, with me, with [Alexandre] Pato, with Ronaldinho, Cafu, Rivaldo… with all the Brazilians who have been part of Milan’s history,” he added.“We need to avoid these comparisons so he can come here and play calmly and peacefully. I’m confident.”Would Kaka ever return to AC Milan? This is what he said:“I spoke with Leo[nardo] and Paolo [Maldini]. Right now I’m closest to Milan but that’s all it is, my priority is still to be close to my family, Luca, and Isabella, who are 10 and 7-years-old.”“I’ve spoken a lot with Leo, to try and understand how to become a director, and I’m doing a sports management course in Brazil,” he commented.last_img read more

Maurizio Sarri interested in Roberto Pereyra

first_imgChelsea manager Maurizio Sarri is monitoring the situation surrounding Roberto Pereyra, according to the winger’s agent.The Watford ace, has been one of the club’s standout players this season, and his representative claims Sarri and Torino, manager Walter Mazzari, who brought Pereyra to the Premier League from Juventus in 2016, both want him.Sergio Furlan said, according to Mirror Football :“2018 was the year of his take-off.”“He scored a dozen goals in a calendar year, something he’d never done before, and we’re talking about a midfielder, not a striker.”Maurizio Sarri, JuventusMaurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“He starts from the left and comes inside. The coach [Javi Gracia] is getting the best out of him in this position and he’s doing very well.”“Mazzarri likes him, but so does Sarri. Maxi has great esteem for Mazzarri because he’s a sincere man.”Furlan, however, ruled out a January exit from the Hornets for Pereyra but admitted the Argentina international has his sights set on a return to European football.He added: “A transfer in January? You can never say never in the market, but I tend to exclude it almost categorically.”“Chelsea also tried, but without success. To Toro in the summer? It would amaze me if they didn’t try again, but we must see Maxi’s desires, Watford’s plans and the offers that will arrive.”last_img read more

Rep Berman Give local officials more input in alcohol regulation

first_img Categories: Berman News 19Feb Rep. Berman: Give local officials more input in alcohol regulation Local establishments with licenses to sell alcohol would have the freedom to extend their hours of operation upon approval from community officials under legislation introduced today by state Rep. Ryan Berman of Commerce Township.Under Berman’s plan, local governments will be given the option to allow community businesses the ability to sell alcohol between the hours of 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.“We are simply giving local municipalities the option to allow alcohol permits for establishments desiring to extend their hours of operation,” said Berman, who serves as the majority vice chair of the House Regulatory Reform Committee. “It’s an optional program. By no means do communities have to act in accordance with this proposal and grant businesses extended hours. It’s strictly up to local officials on how they wish to regulate alcohol sales within their borders.”Berman said local governments which opt in could see a general increase in revenue.House Bill 4213 now moves to the House Regulatory Reform Committee for further consideration.last_img read more