Police call on Nations Director to identify shooter

first_imgCrime Chief Lyndon Alves on Wednesday called on the Principal of School of the Nations, Dr Brian O’Toole, to provide the police with the identity of the shooter.The call by the Crime Chief comes mere days after O’Toole said that his shooter was flown out of Guyana.Principal of School of the Nations, Dr Brian O’TooleOn Wednesday, the Crime Chief told Guyana Times “If O’Toole is so sure of the claims he is making let him come to the police with the identity of this individual. We are not aware of anything like this”.Questioned further, Alves said that there are no new leads into the investigations and no new person or persons of interest as to who may have perpetrated this act.Over the weekend, almost three months after O’Toole was shot, he disclosed that the shooter was flown out of Guyana.According to O’Toole, the lack of prosecution and delay in justice is due to the fact that the parents of the teen flew their son out of the country less than 24 hours after he had committed the crime.Crime Chief Lyndon AlvesOn Thursday last at the British High Commissioner’s residence in Georgetown, O’Toole stated that regardless of the professions of parents, they should not allow their children to pursue the wrong path and engage in such illegalities.“It does not matter what position you have in society. If you are the one that got your child out of the country the day after the shooting, then you have created a monster that is going to destroy his life, the life of your family; and if he is not brought to justice, God knows the mayhem that it’s going to cause,” O’Toole said.He explained that as a result of the shooting, which was highly publicised in local and international media outlets, overseas-based Guyanese, as well as foreigners, are now questioning the state of Guyana with respect to crime.He added that steps need to be taken and initiatives should be put in place to curb violence involving students and other youths in the country, and this means that a multi-stakeholder approach is necessary.On January 27, O’Toole was shot three times as he was returning to his Bel Air, Georgetown residence, hours after an emergency meeting with parents and guardians about violent threats on social media to injure students and teachers of that school.Earlier this year, Crime Chief Lyndon Alves told Guyana Times that Police had questioned four persons – both current and former students – in relation to the shooting of the school’s principal.However, subsequent to the incident, there were several threats against the school on Facebook made by “Kira” (meaning killer), which is the alias of the main character in “Death Note” – a Japanese manga series that was later adapted into films.last_img read more

Possible Man United line up next season with Pogba but NO Rooney

first_img 11 Wide forward: Henrikh Mkhitaryan – In Mkhitaryan – signed for about £26m – they have one of the most creative footballers around. Left back: Luke Shaw – He suffered a terrible injury last season, but is back in training. Holding midfielder: Morgan Schneiderlin – One thing about Mourinho is that he seems to favour a player sitting in front of the back four, uninterested in bombing forward whose only goal is to defend. Schneiderlin could be that man. 11 11 11 11 Central midfield: Ander Herrera – United fans could be seeing Herrera and Pogba switching between attack and defence, though Mourinho has said Rooney will be either a no.9 or 10 so we may see a battle for the position between him and his Spanish team-mate. Wide forward: Anthony Martial – Martial was a success following his £36m transfer from Monaco. Goalkeeper: David De Gea – click the arrow above, right, to see a possible Man United starting line-up for next season without Wayne Rooney – With blockbuster arrivals and more rumoured to be on the way, is this how Man United could line up next season? Manager Jose Mourinho will be glad De Gea stayed given his presence in goal, though is there room for Wayne Rooney in the starting line up? 11 Jose Mourinho has insisted Man United captain Wayne Rooney will not feature in his midfield next season.Paul Pogba is said to be close to a £100m transfer, which would rule him out of that box-to-box role, while he is not going to be a striker following Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s arrival.Old Trafford supremo Mourinho said he sees Rooney’s best position as a no.9 or 10, but with Ander Herrera there, plus the additions of Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic where does it leave him?Here, talkSPORT looks at a possible XI without the United veteran. 11 11 11 Centre back: Eric Bailly – If it’s decided the centre back, who joined for £30m, isn’t ready for the Premier League then there are options in Daley Blind and Phil Jones if he can stay fit. 11 11 Central midfield: Paul Pogba – Pogba is edging closer to a £100m move and with a player like Schneiderlin next to him, the France ace would be free to surge forward and cause the opposition all sorts of problems. This could prove problematic for Wayne Rooney given Mourinho said he won’t be playing in midfield next season, while the striker role seems to be filled. Striker: Zlatan Ibrahimovic – Marcus Rashford is likely to learn a lot from Ibrahimovic and Mourinho said the two can complement each other to form a decent partnership. Centre back: Chris Smalling – Last season Smalling appeared to cement his place as first choice centre back. Right back: Matteo Darmian – His hardworking attributes suggest he’s a player Mourinho would favour. last_img read more

Pair get lengthy prison terms in Wendy’s chili-finger fraud

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN JOSE – A Nevada couple who planted a severed finger in a bowl of Wendy’s chili to extort money from the fast food chain were sentenced Wednesday to prison terms of at least nine years. Anna Ayala, 40, who said she bit into the digit, was sentenced to nine years. Her husband, Jaime Plascencia, 44, who obtained the finger from a co-worker who had lost it in a workplace accident, was sentenced to more than 12 years. “Greed and avarice overtook this couple,” said Judge Edward Davila in Santa Clara County Superior Court, adding that the pair “lost their moral compass.” The two pleaded guilty in September to conspiracy to file a false insurance claim and attempted grand theft with damages exceeding $2.5 million for the finger fraud, and unrelated additional charges. In a tearful plea for leniency, Ayala apologized to the gallery and said the incident was “a moment of poor judgment.” Ayala had said she retched March 22 after biting into the fingertip while dining with her family at a Wendy’s in San Jose. Forensic testing later showed Ayala never chomped on the finger, but she described the incident to television news crews. “There’s no words to describe what I felt, it’s sick, it’s disgusting,” she said in one clip played before sentencing. “Just knowing there was a human remain in my mouth is tearing me apart inside.” Although authorities suspected a hoax – in part because the finger wasn’t cooked – word of the stomach-turning find quickly spread around the world. The Dublin, Ohio-based Wendy’s International Inc. claimed it lost $2.5million in sales because of the bad publicity and dozens of workers at the company’s Northern California franchises were laid off. No Wendy’s employee was missing a digit at the San Jose restaurant, and no chili suppliers reported finger injuries at their plants. “I felt so bad for the fear of what people would think of me,” testified Hector Pineda, who made the chili and initially came under suspicion. “We are the ones that have suffered.” Denny Lynch, senior vice president for Wendy’s, asked the judge to send a message that “consumer fraud is a serious crime that demands a severe penalty.” The couple must pay about $170,000 in restitution for workers’ lost wages. The judge also ordered them to pay nearly $21.8 million to Wendy’s International and JEM Management, which owns the restaurant. Both corporations agreed not to collect from the couple, provided they never benefit from the ruse. In April, Ayala was arrested at her suburban Las Vegas home for filing a false claim against the restaurant chain. Investigators found a pattern of legal claims she brought against businesses in her name or for her children. A lengthy search for the finger’s owner eventually pointed to one of Plascencia’s co-workers, who lost it in an accident at the paving company where they worked, police said. Plascencia bought the tip of Brian Rossiter’s right ring finger for $100 and told him what he and Ayala were plotting, according to court documents. Rossiter later told police the couple offered him $250,000 to keep quiet. During a recorded jailhouse phone call, Ayala bragged about how other inmates were asking for her autograph, according to a transcript of the call. Ayala was also convicted of defrauding a woman by selling a motor home she didn’t own and Plascencia was convicted for failing to pay child support.last_img read more