Journalist Julie Chen visited the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism on Tuesday as a guest speaker for Professor Mary Murphy’s entertainment, business and media course.Chen, who co-hosts CBS’ The Talk and the CBS reality series Big Brother, graduated from the Annenberg School in 1991.Q&A ·Mary Murphy, professor at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, interviewed journalist and media personality Julie Chen on Tuesday night. – Samuel Chang | Daily TrojanMurphy said that Chen, along with Barbara Walters, Meredith Vieira and Katie Couric have expanded the role of female journalists on American television. Annenberg Dean Ernest Wilson III said it was fitting to welcome Chen as one of the first guests in the new Wallis Annenberg Hall.“I applaud the example she presents to the Annenberg school, which is 80 percent women,” Wilson said.During her time at Annenberg, Chen said she and her fellow students were told it would be beneficial to take a job in a smaller news market but she was reluctant to leave Los Angeles and worked for four years behind the scenes at the local ABC station before taking a job at a local news station in Dayton, Ohio.“I looked at that job as a super long business trip,” Chen said.She admitted that she has faced sexism and racial discrimination throughout her career. While in Dayton she was told she would not get the opportunity to anchor the newscast because she was Asian and, therefore, didn’t look like the market the newscast was attempting to reach.Chen admitted publicly on The Talk last year that she had eyelid surgery but emphasized to Murphy’s class that it was not an attempt to look less Asian, though some in her family were offended by her decision.“I met with an agent who looked at my resume tape and was saying you have to [get the surgery] to look more interested. During your cutaway shots you look bored. This guy said ‘You get it done, you will go to a top ten market.’ I did.” Chen said.Chen said that while women in the news industry have made great strides, society still treats women differently from men, and it will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.“I feel there is a level of sexism when a woman can’t go gray if they’re in front of the camera but a man can,” Chen said.But that was only one of many difficult decisions Chen would face. After moving to New York and starting work as a newsreader for CBS, she was approached about hosting a new reality show called Big Brother. At the time, Chen said she was still doing the morning news in New York and her dream was to work for 60 Minutes. She was told she could continue doing morning news, but if she did not take the job hosting Big Brother it could be considered insubordination because she was a CBS employee.“They said they needed someone who knows how to ask questions on live TV and I asked ‘Am I forever sealing the door on 60 Minutes?’ and [the person in charge of the news division] said ‘yes,’” Chen said.Chen, who is married to CBS President and CEO Les Moonves, said that after she had a baby she wanted to stay in Los Angeles permanently rather than move between Los Angeles and New York. When the opportunity came along to be a co-host on The Talk, it was intriguing.Chen is the only journalist by trade who sits on the panel which consists of Chen, Sheryl Underwood, Aisha Tyler, Sharon Osbourne and Sara Gilbert. Much of the show consists of interviewing celebrities rather than covering hard news stories as Chen did early in her career.“It’s a lot of fun,” Chen said. “It’s not as important, but at this age and stage of my life I have a five-year-old, I can’t get sent to the Middle East because I may not come back.”Joshua Guerra, a sophomore psychology major, said it was interesting hearing about the variety of subjects Chen had the opportunity to cover.“I’m considering studying journalism,” Guerra said. “I don’t watch The Talk and I didn’t know much about Julie [Chen], but it was interesting that she made such a big jump in her career.”Freshman public relations major Alena Beas said she follows celebrity culture and news closely and was excited to have the opportunity to speak with Chen in person.“Annenberg always discusses how they are able to bring important, well-educated guest speakers, and tonight they did,” Beas said.For sophomore psychology major Melissa Hatch, the fact the Chen was a USC alumna was the most exciting part of the event.“She was in our place not too long ago and, being a woman, it was great to see how she made it so far,” Hatch said.
StumbleUpon BHA cautious on racing resumption date amid mid-May rumours May 6, 2020 Submit Related Articles Share Share PM casts doubt over imminent resumption for professional sport May 11, 2020 Ascot adds three-year extension to Sky Sports Racing deal August 14, 2020 Racecourse officials are awaiting news from the UK government regarding which fixtures will be permitted to host pilot events as racing inks plans to bring back crowds.A crowd of 5,000 were originally due to attend the final day of the Qatar Goodwood Festival last month, alongside four bookmakers. However, these plans were scuppered following an announcement by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who called off the pilot event citing fears over the coronavirus infection rate.The government has since given the green light for a small number of sporting events to welcome crowds, starting with the final of the World Snooker Championship at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre this weekend.Speaking to Sky Sports Racing, Paul Struthers, chief executive of the Professional Jockeys Association, said: “I know Doncaster are up and ready to undertake a trial and have advanced plans, so fingers crossed for that.“It’s hugely important because across the entire economy you need to get people back. In racing we have really stringent protocols. Racing is an outside sport and there is lots of outdoor space available.“Please God we can get people back and back safely because it’s a long road ahead for so many different industries but ours in particular if we can’t.”Racing leaders hope that if the pilot events are safe, then further competition events will be reopened with social distancing measures in place from 1 October.Doncaster Racecourse has been earmarked as one of the tracks which could host a pilot event, with the four-day St Leger Festival – commencing on September 9 and ending on September 12 – suggested as a possibility.
“He’s going to be really good,” Mattingly said, “and he is really good.”Puig not in the houseWhy isn’t Yasiel Puig at Chase Field? Good question. “I expected him to be here, honestly,” Mattingly said. Puig is rehabbing a strained right hamstring at Camelback Ranch in nearby Glendale. He hasn’t played since Aug. 27. While the team hasn’t reported any setbacks in Puig’s rehab, “he’s not working out on the field; he’s working out in water and the Alter-G.” As baseball activities go, Puig isn’t doing any less than pitcher Brandon McCarthy, for one, who’s out for the season following Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. But McCarthy is with his teammates in the clubhouse and the dugout during games. Puig, who’s rehabbing a half-hour away, is not. “Everybody’s invited,” Mattingly said. “All I’m saying is he’s welcome.” Mattingly said that Puig will return to Los Angeles with the team when it flies home tomorrow night.AlsoKiké Hernandez (strained left hamstring) ran on the field prior to the game. … Howie Kendrick (strained left hamstring) will get 10 at-bats Monday and Tuesday at Dodger Stadium in live batting practice. He is still unable to run at full speed, though “his time was pretty good, faster than the day before,” according to Mattingly. … Condolences to the family of Dodger Stadium chef Dave Pearson, who died at age 75. He had been battling lung cancer. The 36-year-old is available to pinch run, but hasn’t been cleared to bat or play the field. Mattingly said there’s no timetable for Rollins to return.Seager, meanwhile, continues to impress. His home run was the second-hardest hit by a Dodger this season at 110 mph.“He just doesn’t make me nervous,” Mattingly said. “He’s got that (Adrian Gonzalez) heartbeat. It’s slow. He’ll live to be 108, I bet.”Mattingly has shunned any questions about potential playoff roster scenarios so far. But with the Dodgers’ magic number to clinch the division nearing single digits (14), the battle for the final NLDS roster spots will soon be a main focal point of the season.Even if he doesn’t supplant Rollins as the starting shortstop this season, Seager could still make an impact as a reserve. PHOENIX >> Corey Seager’s torrid start isn’t enough to guarantee the rookie shortstop a spot in the Dodgers’ starting lineup once Jimmy Rollins returns. Rollins has been unable to hit or play the field in five games this week because of a tender right index finger.Meanwhile Seager is batting .448 with an on-base percentage of.568 through his first nine major league games. He went 4 for 4 with a home run and stole a base in the Dodgers’ win Saturday. He’s reached base in all nine of his plate appearances the last two days.Once Rollins returns, however, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said the plan for Seager “always has been to play him some at short and give Jimmy days, give (Justin Turner) days at third. He’s played more than we thought from the standpoint of injuries and he’s done a good job.While he’s been praised for his defense and leadership, Rollins also ranks last among qualified National League shortstops in batting average (.220) and on-base percentage (.279). Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Andrew Wiggins may not start next season in Minnesota.The Timberwolves are “confident” they can deal the 24-year-old forward this summer, according to a report from Yahoo Sports. Moving Wiggins could create salary cap space for the team to acquire guard D’Angelo Russell from the Nets in a sign-and-trade, the report says. Multiple teams have heard that Minnesota is confident that they can trade Andrew Wiggins this summer. Doing so could open up the cap space necessary to sign D’Angelo Russell, who is tight with Karl-Anthony Towns. https://t.co/97qfsxL0Xd— Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA) June 29, 2019The Timberwolves are “at the top” of Russell’s wish list and they’re “increasingly confident” they can land him, according to a report from the New York Times. They’re actively “canvassing the league” looking to make deals, the report says.Minnesota is at the top of D’Angelo Russell’s free-agent wish list as the opening bell nears, league sources say — with the Timberwolves increasingly confident they can make the necessary salary-cap moves to land him— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) June 30, 2019Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5 million extension with Minnesota in October 2017, but he has regressed over the last two seasons. He averaged 18.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting a career-low 41.2% from the field in 2018-19. Related News “I feel like it was an OK season,” Wiggins told reporters in April. “Not the best, not the worst. It was OK. … Just going up. Just getting better. That’s the main thing, just not downgrading.”Wiggins has connected on just 33.2% of his 3-point attempts over his five NBA seasons, all of which have been spent with Minnesota.“I like the whole team, the coaching staff,” Wiggins said after the 2018-19 season. “And, I feel like everyone is getting better. A lot of young guys, too.”The Timberwolves finished 2018-19 with a 36-46 record and missed the playoffs. They fired Tom Thibodeau in January and hired Ryan Saunders to replace him. D’Angelo Russell free agency rumors: Lakers seek out guard’s agent to set up meeting D’Angelo Russell free agency rumors: Suns ‘really’ want to add guard, executive says Kyrie Irving free agency rumors: Superstar plans to work quickly toward massive deal with Nets “We’re a team that never gives up,” Wiggins said in April. “We’ve been through a lot. Injuries, ups and downs, changes in the staff, the team, everything. We’ve stayed solid. We’ve kept our heads on straight. The season didn’t end how we wanted it to end, but next year I think will be a great year for us.”The Timberwolves traded up in the 2019 draft earlier this month and selected Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver with the No. 6 pick.
Anzack Sr. said he would remember his son as “a man who made his own choices, stuck by his choices and gave 100percent. “I was honored to have him serve this country,” he said. “I know he went over there and made a difference.” Anzack, 20, vanished along with the two others after their combat team was ambushed May12 about 20miles outside Baghdad. Five others, including an Iraqi, died in the ambush, which al-Qaida later claimed. U.S. forces also disclosed nine more deaths Wednesday, raising to 20 the number of U.S. troops killed in four days. In the search for U.S. soldiers, thousands of U.S. and Iraqi forces have searched day and night for 11 days, trudging in temperatures above 110degrees through desert and lush farmland, sometimes wading in sewage-polluted irrigation ditches. Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, the chief U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said Iraqi police recovered Anzack’s remains. Officials declined to provide details on the location or condition of the body and cut off Internet and telephone access for soldiers at bases to limit rumors. “We will give the truth to the families first,” said Maj. Webster Wright, a spokesman for the 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 10th Mountain Division, which has been leading the search. Iraqi police officials said the body was partly clothed in a U.S. military uniform and had a tattoo on one arm, bullet wounds and possible signs of torture. Residents said it was found floating in the Euphrates on Wednesday morning, several miles south of the road by the river where the attack occurred. “Some people from our town – and I was with them – dragged the body from the river,” said Ali Abbas al-Fatlawi, 30, a resident of Musayyib. “We saw the head riddled with bullets, and shots in the left side of the abdomen. His hands were not tied, and he was not blindfolded.” Ali Khalid, 27, a carpenter who lives near the river, said he had used his boat to take the body to shore. Residents say the police took the body to a local hospital, where U.S. soldiers later claimed it. U.S. military officials did not confirm the local accounts. A group of soldiers who had been searching near Musayyib this week – and who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the operations – said U.S. troops might have cornered the gunmen, who then killed the soldier and dumped his body as they fled. The area, they said, has one of the most entrenched insurgent populations in Iraq, with U.S. troops regularly facing attack when they enter. Captured along with Anzack were Spc. Alex R. Jimenez, 25, of Lawrence, Mass., and Pvt. Byron W. Fouty, 19, of Waterford, Mich. For the Anzack family in Torrance, notification of the death forced them to relive the most frightening of rumors – only this time, it was real. About a month ago, the family of Pfc. Joseph Anzack Jr. was told the soldier was dead in Iraq. After messages were posted on MySpace.com, South High School, where he had been a football star, put a message on a sign outside that said: “In Loving Memory Joseph Anzack Class of 2005.” It wasn’t until the Red Cross helped his father speak with him by phone that the family could put the rumor to rest. But on Wednesday, the trauma was real. In the dining hall at a U.S. military base in Mahmudiya, Iraq, U.S. soldiers gathered around televisions, anxiously watching the latest cable news reports. Pfc. Ryan McClymonds, 21, of Miami, Fla., said that if the body found in the river proved to be that of one of the missing Americans, its discovery would at least represent some progress in an exhausting and frustrating search dominated by false leads. At least two soldiers have already died during the search for their missing comrades, and several others have been wounded. Iraqi and U.S. officials have reported that about 1,000 people have been detained since the search began. Of those, commanders have said, about 15 are thought to have direct knowledge of the ambush. Elsewhere in Iraq, a bomber walked into a coffee shop in Mandali, 60 miles east of Baghdad in Diyala province, and blew himself up Wednesday. A police official said the blast had killed 11 people and wounded 25; news agencies reported the police said at least 20 people had died. It was at least the second major attack in a week in the area and seemed to reflect rising tensions between Kurds and Arabs over a disputed section of the province that Kurdish leaders are seeking to incorporate into Iraqi Kurdistan. On May19, gunmen wearing Iraqi army uniforms dragged 15 Shiite Kurds into the street in a nearby village and shot them dead, Iraqi government officials said. Diyala, a religiously mixed area that has become one of Iraq’s deadliest regions, was also the site of several gun battles and bombings Wednesday. Security officials in Jalawla said three Iraqi soldiers had been among six killed there in a series of clashes. A bomb in the nearby city of Buhruz killed two women, officials said. And in Muqdadiya, two other civilians and a police officer were killed in separate attacks. In Baghdad, authorities found 30 bodies throughout the city, an Interior Ministry official said. Bombs and mortars killed at least four, the official said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BAGHDAD – A body pulled from the Euphrates River south of Baghdad on Wednesday was identified as Pfc. Joseph Anzack Jr. of Torrance, one of three U.S. soldiers abducted two weeks ago in an ambush claimed by al-Qaida, relatives and officials said. A second body was found in the area, but there was no word whether it was also one of the missing soldiers, a U.S. military official said. Speaking by phone Wednesday night, Joseph Anzack Sr. told the Daily Breeze that Army representatives notified him late that afternoon that his son was the dead soldier. He had been visually identified by a commander in his unit. “I’m not really sure where I’m going to go from here,” Anzack Sr. told the Torrance paper. “I don’t know what I’m supposed to do tomorrow. But I have to keep living. I have to keep my family strong.”