South Korea Takes the Lead in Ship Orders in September

first_imgFollowing the last year’s turmoil in the sector, shipyards from South Korea won the majority of orders worldwide in September 2017 and their order backlog increased for the first time in almost a 2-year period.Specifically, the country’s shipyards bagged orders amounting to a gross tonnage of 1.46 compensated million tons, Yonhap news agency reported, referring to data provided by Clarksons Research.In September, owners placed orders for 26 new vessels at South Korean yards. These include eleven ultra large container vessels (ULCVs), ten very large ore carriers (VLOCs) and five very large crude carriers (VLCCs).Switzerland’s Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) turned to Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) for eleven 22,000 TEU containerships which will be the world’s largest boxships based on TEU capacity.In addition, Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) won an order from compatriot Polaris Shipping for the construction of ten VLOCs. As World Maritime News earlier informed, the contract for the ten 325,000 dwt ships is worth KRW 910.2 billion (around USD 800 million).Another shipping company, Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM), chose DSME shipyard for the construction of its five 300,000 dwt VLCCs. The order for the tanker quintet contains options for five more ships.On the other hand, Chinese competitors clinched orders for 21 vessels with a combined gross tonnage of 890,000 tons.The biggest order, worth USD 1.2 billion, was placed by French container shipping major CMA CGM, including nine 22,000 TEU boxships.During the last month, Japan was on the third place in terms of new shipbuilding deals with fourteen ordered ships.Out of these ships, ten 82,000 dwt bulk carriers were ordered from Nissen Kaiun and the remaining four VLCCs from Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK) Line.In the first nine months of the year, China ranked first with regard to order backlog with 217 vessels, followed by South Korea with 133 and Japan with 76 ships, according to Yonhap.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Why the Diamondbacks traded for Leake, Gallen but parted with Greinke at deadline

first_imgDiamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen’s remarks leading up to the MLB trade deadline proved prophetic in light of the deals he executed Wednesday.He had hinted that his organization would be part buyer, part seller, but it was unclear what such a strategy would entail. Arizona has hovered around .500 most of the season, and it occupied a strange place as it approached July 31 — not a clear wild card contender but also positioned to delay an extensive rebuild. That’s not to suggest Arizona anticipates success this August and September. Hazen, in fact, told the Arizona Republic on July 22 that he doesn’t expect his .500 squad to suddenly emerge as World Series challengers.“I don’t think, objectively, that’s a position we should be staking ourselves to,” Hazen said.He didn’t pin himself to that faint hope on Wednesday. Still, his flurry of attention-grabbing deadline moves — geared toward the present and the future — kept the Diamondbacks’ competitive season from becoming a thing of the past. Hazen did not view his in-between position negatively.“Like in (the) offseason, there may be some creative things we need to do to help us now and in the future,” Hazen told the Arizona Republic on July 10. “I think those possibilities exist.”MORE: How to watch “ChangeUp,” an MLB whiparound show, for free on DAZNThe Diamondbacks acquired two starters — a veteran and a rookie — without significantly eroding their minor league system. Then they offloaded right-hander Zack Greinke’s massive contract to the Astros and got several high-level prospects in return. As a result, they kept themselves in the 2019 playoff race while bolstering their farm.Arizona netted Mike Leake from the Mariners for prospect Jose Caballero, and it added promising rookie right-hander Zac Gallen from the Marlins for Double-A shortstop Jazz Chisholm. Leake (4.40 ERA) is a sturdy middle-rotation arm known for being able to handle a heavy workload. Arizona will reportedly pay just $6 million of the more than $20 million still owed to him. Gallen, meanwhile, is a 23-year-old with a 2.72 ERA in seven career outings. Each should contribute down the stretch this year.While Chisolm is a consensus top 100 prospect, he’s hitting .204 this year in Jackson. Caballero was not considered a crucial part of Arizona’s system.The Greinke deal may have appeared a contradiction from the Leake and Gallen deals, but in reality, sending their ace to Houston might work out for the Diamondbacks even in the short-term. In the final two months of the regular season, Leake and Gallen could theoretically combine to approach the on-field value of Greinke, who was making more than five times the salary of any of his Arizona teammates at $34.5 million. So far this campaign, Leake and Gallen have produced 3.1 wins above replacement compared with Greinke’s 4.7 bWAR. Gallen did not reach the big leagues until late June, though.MORE: Zack Greinke trade gradesShedding Greinke allows the Diamondbacks increased roster flexibility. They’re no longer on the hook for the full $70 million he’s owed across 2020 and 2021, instead eating $24 million of that total, according to a report from The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. They can reinvest the freed cash toward free agency or player extensions.Perhaps most important for the Arizona, though, is the prospect return it got for its ace. First baseman Seth Beer was Houston’s No. 3 prospect by MLB.com’s rankings. Right-handers J.B. Bukauskas and Corbin Martin ranked No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. Josh Rojas came in at No. 22.Each of those players is in Double-A or above right now, a crucial development for the Diamondbacks given their lack of upper-minors talent. They previously buffed up their Single-A ranks with a strong 2019 MLB Draft and had been searching for additional assets closer to MLB. They got those youngsters without conceding the current playoff race.last_img read more

Theres nothing like Australia for winning PATA award

first_imgSource = e-Travel Blackboard: N.J Judges at the 2011 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Awards agreed that ‘There’s nothing like Australia’, presenting Tourism Australia with two awards for the tourism campaign. The tourism group walked away with the Grand award and the Gold award for its interactive website. Tourism Australia managing director Andrew McEvoy said in an online statement that the interactive element, in which Australians were able to post their ideas and experiences, contributed to the success of the campaign. “These awards are really a pat on the back for the people of Australia, who brought their country to life by sharing their favourite Australian place or experience with the world,” Mr McEvoy said. “They are the experts on what makes Australia unlike anywhere else and getting them to share their stories and experiences has helped make this campaign the huge success it has been. During the first phase of the campaign up to 30,000 Australians posted stories and images to show why visitors should visit the country. As part of the second phase a digital interactive map of Australia was made up of the things Aussies highlighted as special about the country. Mr McEvoy said that while winning the award was an achievement the overall success of the campaign makes it a winner. “Australia’s inbound tourism achieved solid growth of six per cent last year despite major economic challenges in many of our key overseas markets – a very credible achievement when many of our competitors have suffered declines,” Mr McEvoy said.The campaign was launched at in May last year, accompanied with digital advertising plus a video commercial aired in cinemas and online. last_img read more