“We have monitored massive recruitment, especially of minors, in Antique province,” Batara said, adding that this is intended to reclaim some areas in this province that were declared as insurgent-free in 2015. BATARA. PNA “The minors from Sibalom were turned over to their municipal social welfare and development office for psycho-social counseling,” he said. “Massive recruitment is particularly happening in the municipalities of Sibalom, San Remigio and Hamtic,” he said, adding that the NPA rebels’ extortion activities are also being done simultaneously to beef up their logistical strength. Batara noted that during their encounter with communist-terrorists in Barangay Cabalaunan, Miagao in Iloilo last April 18, they were able to capture five minors who are residents of barangays Igpanolong and Tordesillas in Sibalom. SAN JOSE, Antique – The Philippine Army’s 61st Infantry Battalion (61IB) said the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) is trying to regain some areas in this province by conducting massive recruitment and extortion.Lieutenant Colonel Joel Benedict Batara, commander of 61IB under the 3rd Infantry Division, said on June 17 that the CPP-NPA members are taking advantage of the time while military forces are busy in the campaign against the coronavirus disease 2019. The provincial social welfare and development office also assisted in the conduct of psycho-social counseling.During the meeting of the League of the Municipalities in the Philippines-Antique chapter on June 16, Batara appealed to the local chief executives (LCEs) of the 18 municipalities to strengthen their Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (TF-ELCAC). “I appeal to the LCEs to support the TF-ELCAC by bringing basic services to the people,” he said. Countering the CPP-NPA’s massive recruitment is not only through military patrol or combat but through convergence efforts to bring basic services to the people, especially in the remote areas, he added. (With a report from PNA/PN)
StumbleUpon BHA cautious on racing resumption date amid mid-May rumours May 6, 2020 Submit Related Articles Share Share PM casts doubt over imminent resumption for professional sport May 11, 2020 Ascot adds three-year extension to Sky Sports Racing deal August 14, 2020 Racecourse officials are awaiting news from the UK government regarding which fixtures will be permitted to host pilot events as racing inks plans to bring back crowds.A crowd of 5,000 were originally due to attend the final day of the Qatar Goodwood Festival last month, alongside four bookmakers. However, these plans were scuppered following an announcement by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who called off the pilot event citing fears over the coronavirus infection rate.The government has since given the green light for a small number of sporting events to welcome crowds, starting with the final of the World Snooker Championship at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre this weekend.Speaking to Sky Sports Racing, Paul Struthers, chief executive of the Professional Jockeys Association, said: “I know Doncaster are up and ready to undertake a trial and have advanced plans, so fingers crossed for that.“It’s hugely important because across the entire economy you need to get people back. In racing we have really stringent protocols. Racing is an outside sport and there is lots of outdoor space available.“Please God we can get people back and back safely because it’s a long road ahead for so many different industries but ours in particular if we can’t.”Racing leaders hope that if the pilot events are safe, then further competition events will be reopened with social distancing measures in place from 1 October.Doncaster Racecourse has been earmarked as one of the tracks which could host a pilot event, with the four-day St Leger Festival – commencing on September 9 and ending on September 12 – suggested as a possibility.