Gear change

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

RECALL: Nathan’s and Curtis Hot Dogs

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisIf you’re planning on firing up the grill this weekend, you may want to eliminate a certain meat choice from all of the fun.More than 200,000 pounds of hot dogs are being recalled from the company that makes Nathan’s and Curtis hot dogs. The company says they’ve received complaints of metal being found inside of the packages. According to John Morrell and Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio, they’ve received three complaints and notified the federal government on Friday.The recall applies to 14 oz. sealed film packages labeled “Nathans Skinless 8 Beef Franks”, with a use-by date of August 19th, 2017, and 16 oz. sealed film packs labeled “Curtis Beef Master Franks”, with a use–by date of June 15th, 2017.The packages were shipped to retail locations nation wide. There have not been any confirmed reports of injuries or reactions, but if you have the product you’re asked to return it to the retail location you purchased it from.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious ACES Celebrates 20 Years and Past-GraduatesNext Thunder Bay Junior High 8th Graders Enjoy a Trip to Collegelast_img read more

Corey Seager’s days as the Dodgers’ starting shortstop are numbered

first_img“He’s going to be really good,” Mattingly said, “and he is really good.”Puig not in the houseWhy isn’t Yasiel Puig at Chase Field? Good question. “I expected him to be here, honestly,” Mattingly said. Puig is rehabbing a strained right hamstring at Camelback Ranch in nearby Glendale. He hasn’t played since Aug. 27. While the team hasn’t reported any setbacks in Puig’s rehab, “he’s not working out on the field; he’s working out in water and the Alter-G.” As baseball activities go, Puig isn’t doing any less than pitcher Brandon McCarthy, for one, who’s out for the season following Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. But McCarthy is with his teammates in the clubhouse and the dugout during games. Puig, who’s rehabbing a half-hour away, is not. “Everybody’s invited,” Mattingly said. “All I’m saying is he’s welcome.” Mattingly said that Puig will return to Los Angeles with the team when it flies home tomorrow night.AlsoKiké Hernandez (strained left hamstring) ran on the field prior to the game. … Howie Kendrick (strained left hamstring) will get 10 at-bats Monday and Tuesday at Dodger Stadium in live batting practice. He is still unable to run at full speed, though “his time was pretty good, faster than the day before,” according to Mattingly. … Condolences to the family of Dodger Stadium chef Dave Pearson, who died at age 75. He had been battling lung cancer. The 36-year-old is available to pinch run, but hasn’t been cleared to bat or play the field. Mattingly said there’s no timetable for Rollins to return.Seager, meanwhile, continues to impress. His home run was the second-hardest hit by a Dodger this season at 110 mph.“He just doesn’t make me nervous,” Mattingly said. “He’s got that (Adrian Gonzalez) heartbeat. It’s slow. He’ll live to be 108, I bet.”Mattingly has shunned any questions about potential playoff roster scenarios so far. But with the Dodgers’ magic number to clinch the division nearing single digits (14), the battle for the final NLDS roster spots will soon be a main focal point of the season.Even if he doesn’t supplant Rollins as the starting shortstop this season, Seager could still make an impact as a reserve. PHOENIX >> Corey Seager’s torrid start isn’t enough to guarantee the rookie shortstop a spot in the Dodgers’ starting lineup once Jimmy Rollins returns. Rollins has been unable to hit or play the field in five games this week because of a tender right index finger.Meanwhile Seager is batting .448 with an on-base percentage of.568 through his first nine major league games. He went 4 for 4 with a home run and stole a base in the Dodgers’ win Saturday. He’s reached base in all nine of his plate appearances the last two days.Once Rollins returns, however, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said the plan for Seager “always has been to play him some at short and give Jimmy days, give (Justin Turner) days at third. He’s played more than we thought from the standpoint of injuries and he’s done a good job.While he’s been praised for his defense and leadership, Rollins also ranks last among qualified National League shortstops in batting average (.220) and on-base percentage (.279).center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Michelle Wie will ‘take some time away’ from the course

first_img“(I) had an encouraging visit with my doctor,” Wie wrote. “However we both think it’s in my best interest to take some time away to allow my body to heal properly and get stronger. Health is my top priority right now and hopefully I can get back to being pain free real soon. Thank you everyone for staying patient with me. I appreciate y’all.” One of the LPGA’s biggest names will sit out of the busiest time of the season to nurse a nagging hand injury.Michelle Wie, a five-time tour champion and 2014 U.S. Women’s Open winner, announced earlier in the week on Instagram she will take some time away and make health her “top priority.” Had an encouraging visit with my doctor, however we both think it’s in my best interest to take some time away to allow my body to heal properly and get stronger. Health is my top priority right now and hopefully I can get back to being pain free real soon. Thank you everyone for staying patient with me. I appreciate y’all ❤️A post shared by Michelle Wie (@themichellewie) on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:38am PDTWie has been plagued with injuries the past couple of seasons.Last year, her 2018 campaign ended early when the 29-year-old underwent surgery on her right hand to fix a fracture, bone spurs and nerve entrapment. This came after Wie was forced to withdraw in the middle of her round at the Women’s British Open last August because of the injury. View this post on Instagram She returned to the course in February 2019 and finished 23rd at the Honda LPGA Thailand. But, at the HSBC Women’s World Championship, Wie — the defending champion — withdrew 14 holes into her first round due pain in her hand.Wie again withdraw from a chance to comeback at the Kia Classic in March and missed the cut at her next two events.last_img read more

Dumped on – again!

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant The mayor was unavailable for comment on Tuesday’s council vote. If the city and BFI cannot reach a compromise, the council can cancel the Sunshine Canyon contract March 17. However, the city would have to scramble to find new landfills and could be forced to pay $15 million to $30 million more per year when the current contract runs out June 30. North Valley activists said the City Council essentially sealed the deal with BFI; they said they see little hope that will change in coming days. “To me, it’s a de facto approval,” said Wayde Hunter with the North Valley Coalition, which has lobbied the city to sever ties with BFI and sign on with companies that promote recycling and landfill alternatives. “Today, they should have voted up or down on the issue. By doing this, they’ve allowed two weeks to fool around, and if they don’t do anything, the contract stays in place.” Councilman Alex Padilla, who represents the nearby area and faces a tough state Senate election fight against Assemblywoman Cindy Montaez, cast the only vote against the deal, saying the city was approving the BFI contract before completing negotiations. BFI had set a Feb. 28 deadline for the decision after agreeing to several delays. “If (BFI) was genuinely willing to talk and meet somewhere in the middle, there wouldn’t be this requirement to approve the five-year contract first. I don’t think this is good-faith negotiation with the city,” Padilla said. But some council members said they were committed to their new trash policy, and will divert 600 tons of trash to other landfills this year. “I don’t think the council is ready to send everything back to Sunshine,” said Councilman Greig Smith, who represents the community around the dump and has worked to develop alternatives to Sunshine. “If this contract is a lemon, we walk away from it.” Still, some council members said they don’t want to spend more money to send trash outside city limits, particularly since Sunshine Canyon will continue to take trash from other customers. The negotiations now come down to cost. Under the current contract with BFI, L.A. must send all its trash to Sunshine Canyon Landfill to lock in the low price of $25 per ton. That works out to $29 million per year. BFI has said that if L.A. sends some trash to other landfills, the per-ton price could jump to $45. That could raise the annual cost by roughly $14 million each year. If BFI agrees to renegotiate the contract and allow L.A. to divert trash to landfills in Riverside County or the San Joaquin Valley, the city would pay between $1.2 million and $1.8 million more each year. Kerry Cavanaugh, (818) 713-3746 [email protected] HOW THEY VOTED The Los Angeles City Council voted Tuesday to tentatively approve the five-year contract for Sunshine Canyon Landfill, but negotiate with the dump owners to allow LA to send some of the trash to other landfills without paying extra. The Council will make the final yes or no vote by March 17. Councilmember, Vote Tony Cardenas Yes Eric Garcetti Yes Wendy Greuel Yes Janice Hahn Yes Jose Huizar Yes Tom LaBonge Absent Alex Padilla No Bernard Parks Yes Jan Perry Yes Ed Reyes Yes Bill Rosendahl Yes Greig Smith Yes Jack Weiss Yes Herb Wesson Yes Dennis Zine Yes160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Los Angeles City Council tentatively approved another five-year contract with Sunshine Canyon Landfill on Tuesday, but left open an 18-day window to negotiate a deal with its operator to divert some trash from the Granada Hills dump without paying extra. Despite the failure of last-ditch efforts to agree on a plan to gradually truck increasing amounts of the city’s household trash to remote dumps, Council President Eric Garcetti still held out hope to reach a compromise with Browning-Ferris Industries, which owns the landfill. Tentative approval of the contract comes after the council promised to wean the city off Sunshine Canyon over five years. Former Mayor James Hahn and current Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa also pledged to veto the city’s contract with the Granada Hills dump. Villaraigosa has since said he is reluctant to spend millions of dollars more per year to send trash outside city limits, with the city facing tough budget decisions. last_img read more