The Latest: Brazilian mayor suspends pro soccer matches

first_imgCrivella issued a decree on Saturday arguing that time is needed to adapt safety protocols for all teams. The suspension is valid for five days. On Thursday night, Flamengo beat Bangu 3-0 at Maracanã Stadium in the first professional soccer match in South America in nearly three months. The game marked the return of Brazil’s state leagues, but at a field hospital near a stadium gate doctors said two COVID-19 patients had died. So far, Rio state has counted more than 8,500 fatalities from the disease. Brazil officially topped 1 million cases of COVID-19 on Friday.___Kansas State has paused all voluntary workouts for football student-athletes for two weeks following the most recent COVID-19 test results. June 20, 2020 The team said those areas will remain closed until extensive sanitizing is completed. All individuals who may have been exposed have been notified, the Bucs said in a statement, “and are following the established protocols, which include a 14-day quarantine period.” The team did not identify three people who tested positive.Team headquarters is remaining open under the first phase of the NFL’s reopening plan.Earlier this week, the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning closed their facility after three players and two staff members tested positive.___ The second player was asymptomatic and has been in isolation since Wednesday, adhering with MLS health and safety protocols that require at least two positive tests to ensure the first result was not a false positive. The team conducted non-contact, individual training sessions on Friday and Saturday and will continue non-contact training on Monday. Mandatory COVID-19 testing will take place again Monday. If negative test results for all players and staff are received, the team will resume full team training on Tuesday.Since Atlanta United began individual player workouts on May 6, the club has followed MLS health and safety guidelines, including physical distancing and sanitizing during individual workouts, small group training sessions and full group training sessions. The club works in consultation with the CDC, local health authorities and MLS regarding testing and training guidelines.___Three members of the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers have tested positive for the- novel coronavirus at the team’s training facility, and the Bucs have closed affected areas of the building. The Latest: Brazilian mayor suspends pro soccer matches Matthews had 47 goals and 33 assists in 70 games before the suspension of the season on March 12.Toronto goaltender Frederik Andersen stayed with Matthews in Arizona for the first stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, but according to the Toronto Sun he tested negative for the novel coronavirus and is no longer in Arizona.Arizona has seen a recent spike in COVID-19 cases. On Friday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 3,246 new positive cases of COVID-19, exceeding Thursday’s single-day high of 2,519 cases.The league said Friday that it has tested more than 200 players at club facilities during voluntary training since June 8, with 11 testing positive.___ Associated Press center_img French soccer authorities are allowing fans back into stadiums from July 10, with an initial limit of 5,000.Noël Le Graët, president of the French Football Federation, says it is possible more spectators will be allowed into the French Cup final at the end of July and for the resumption of top-tier Ligue 1 play at the end of August.The federation’s executive committee will discuss the new measures and the specifics of the new calendar on Monday.The French government called off the country’s 2019-20 soccer season on April 28 as part of efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic.___ The Toronto Maple Leafs will not comment on reports that star player Auston Matthews has tested positive for the coronavirus.The Toronto Sun and The Toronto Star report that the center tested positive. The Leafs say a player’s medical information is private.Toronto is deferring to the NHL’s policy on handling test results, with the league providing updates on testing totals and positive tests without disclosing the identities of affected clubs or players. Judd Moldaver, Matthews’s agent, did not respond to requests for comment.According to the Sun, the 22-year-old Matthews has self-quarantined in his Arizona home and hopes to be ready to play if the NHL season resumes. The NHL hopes to open training camps next month, and finish off the 2019-20 season later this summer. As of Friday, 14 student-athletes had tested positive for active COVID-19 following testing of more than 130 student-athletes. The school said those who have tested positive are being medically managed according to current guidelines. That includes self-isolation for 10 days and until the patient is without fever for 72 hours without medication, whichever takes longer. Athletics director Gene Taylor said the university felt that temporarily pausing all football workouts and access to facilities was the best decision for everyone. ___Atlanta United confirmed a second positive result for a player following mandatory club testing on Friday. No additional positive results for players or staff were received Friday. The club announced its first positive result for a player on Thursday. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Rio de Janeiro Mayor Marcelo Crivella has suspended all professional soccer matches in the city only three days after play restarted amid the coronavirus pandemic. More AP sports: and read more

SU overpowers Crimson in 1st round of WNIT

first_img Published on March 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img With the clock winding down below 14 minutes in the second half and Syracuse already well on its way to a win, Kayla Alexander added an early exclamation point to a dominant performance.Harvard guard Victoria Lippert got the ball in the paint and tried a turnaround jumper over the Orange freshman. Alexander rejected the fadeaway but the ball bounced back to the Crimson.It eventually found its way back into Lippert’s hands on the left wing, where she tried to drive down the middle. Alexander popped out from underneath the basket and took a vicious swing at the shot, again sending it away.That block, however, ricocheted to SU guard Tyler Ash, who started a fast break. She found a slashing Carmen Tyson-Thomas for an easy layup and the Orange continued to roll.Syracuse (23-10, 7-9 Big East) easily dealt with an overmatched Harvard (20-9, 11-3 Ivy League) squad Thursday, beating the Crimson 87-68 in front of 173 people at Manley Field House. SU’s freshmen duo of Alexander and Tyson-Thomas and the Orange’s overall size proved too much for Harvard to handle in the first-round NIT matchup. The win gave Syracuse 23 this year, marking the highest single-season total in program history.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU moves on to play Richmond at 7 p.m. Monday in Manley Field House in the second round of the NIT.‘I thought, overall, we really played well in the paint,’ SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. ‘We really wanted to push tempo and really get up and down the floor and be aggressive. And that’s what we did.’While the Orange made it a physical game with drives and low post play when it had the ball, Harvard when with a different approach. The Crimson heaved up 19 3-pointers in the first half, only to see five of them swish through.And on the other end, SU soon discovered that no one could matchup with the freshman Alexander, who finished the day with 22 points. Harvard tried to play from behind the 6-foot-4 forward, allowing her to catch entry passes easily and turn for quick shots.  When the Crimson finally did send another defender to double Alexander late in the first half, she took one dribble to split the defense and put up a soft shot that rattled in.‘They were playing behind (me) so it was easier to seal and easier to pass inside,’ she said. ‘I like it when people play behind. I get more touches.’And when it wasn’t Alexander terrorizing the undersized Crimson down low, it was her fellow freshman, Tyson-Thomas, dropping in points from all over the court. She scored a career-high 17 points and pulled in 13 rebounds.On Syracuse’s last two possessions of the first half, Tyson-Thomas hit a baseline jumper and a buzzer-beating 3 to send the Orange into halftime. After the long-range trey, the freshman smiled and ran over to the SU bench, where she was greeted with chest bumps and high fives from her teammates.She said that her rebounding early (seven boards in the first half) helped get her into the flow of the game, which, in turn, helped her scoring.‘I was pretty much taking good shots, efficient shots,’ she said. ‘I wasn’t taking too many 3’s. That wasn’t our game plan. I was trying to get in the paint.’The freshman pair combined for 27 points in the first half, powering the Orange to a 55-30 lead at the break.And with the big lead, Syracuse coasted through the second half. Harvard never got closer than 19 points and SU led by as much as 33 before the game was over.‘I’m just really happy with our effort,’ Hillsman said. ‘We just really wanted to pound the paint, rebound the basketball, take quality shots. …We only took four 3’s and that was our goal, not to shoot a lot of 3s and attack the basket. I was very happy with our performance. I was very happy with our freshman. Our freshman played big. Overall, I’m just really happy we can play another game.’[email protected]last_img read more