Royal commission

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

A freight in vain

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

Gear change

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More →

BNPB promises better facilities for quarantined World Dream crew members

first_imgThe National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has promised that the 188 Indonesians quarantined on Sebaru Island in Thousand Islands regency, Jakarta, will be housed in better facilities than the Wuhan evacuees that were quarantined in Natuna regency, Riau Islands earlier this year. The 188 Indonesians are crew members of the World Dream cruise ship, which suspended its operations after docking in Hong Kong and spent days in quarantine at the Kai Tak Cruise terminal earlier this month. Three Chinese nationals, who had been aboard the ship between Jan. 19 and 24, tested positive for the virus.Rustian, the BNPB’s director of logistics and equipment, said the uninhabited Sebaru Island already had the necessary infrastructure as it was once used as a rehabilitation center for drug users. The crew members will live in the rehabilitation building, which has been prepared to act as an observation center. “There are decent bedrooms, all necessary facilities and is generally much better than Natuna,” Rustian said in a statement on Wednesday.Rustian said the building had the capacity to board 200 people, adding that the government has deployed more than 760 personnel from the Indonesian Military (TNI), BNPB and Health Ministry to oversee the quarantine.Aerial photo of Sebaru Kecil Island in the Thousand Islands, Jakarta, Monday (2/26/2020). The island will be the site of observation for 188 WNI ABK World Dream. (Antara/Akbar Nugroho Gumay)“[The personnel] have prepare medical, sanitation, and public kitchen equipment to host the crew members,” Rustian said.The crew members had been picked up naval hospital ship Dr. Soeharso on Wednesday before being dropped off on Sebaru Island.The quarantine will last for 14 days under the care of Health Ministry in accordance with World Health Organization (WHO) protocol. (gis)Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

India to restart some passenger trains even though coronavirus infections jump

first_imgA fifth of India’s cases of coronavirus come from the densely populated cities of Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad and Pune, which are also major centers of economic activity.Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said three-fourths of Delhi’s cases of coronavirus were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms and did not need hospital treatment.”Overall corona figures [are] rising in Delhi but at the same time people are getting cured and going back home safe. Now we’ve to learn to live with corona,” he said.India’s rising numbers of infections are also the result of increased testing, which has grown from 2,000 tests per day in late March, to 85,000 to 90,000 a day now, according to the Indian Council of Medical Research, the government’s top body leading the fight against the disease.Modi was due to hold a meeting with state chief ministers later on Monday to determine a path out of the lockdown even as infections spread.Passengers taking the trains that will start up on Tuesday will have to wear masks and undergo screening at the stations, a government official said. “Thereafter, Indian Railways shall start more special services on new routes,” the government said in a statement. The rail network, among the world’s largest, carries over 20 million people each day and is the lifeline for people living in far flung corners of the country.The announcement late on Sunday of the restart of some train service came on the same day India’s coronavirus infections jumped by 4,214, the most ever, to 67,152.India’s rail, road, and air services were suspended in March to stop infections from spreading into the country’s interior, but the number of cases has kept rising each day. Officials say the spread of the disease would be worse if Modi’s stringent restrictions had not been put in place.The number of people who have died from COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, has reached 2,206, the ministry of health also said on Monday. India announced a limited reopening of its giant rail network beginning on Tuesday after a nearly seven-week lockdown, despite also reporting its biggest single-day jump in coronavirus cases.Prime Minister Narendra Modi has faced increasing calls to end his government’s stringent lockdown of the nation’s 1.3 billion population, with political parties, businesses and citizens saying the containment measures have destroyed the livelihoods of millions that rely on daily wages for sustenance.The shutdown, which has been repeatedly extended to stave off a surge in infections, is in force until May 17. Ahead of that, though, the railway ministry said it would gradually restart passenger services with 15 trains from Tuesday, connecting Delhi to Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Kolkata and other big cities.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Premier League gets green light for June re-start

first_img‘We are just people too’ Players have voiced their concerns at the prospect of being rushed back into training and, eventually, into playing a contact sport at a time when the rest of the public remain encouraged to abide by social-distancing guidelines.The UK has been one of the worst-hit countries in the global pandemic, with the government officially recording nearly 32,000 deaths of people who had tested positive for COVID-19.”We are just people too,” tweeted Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell on Sunday.There is also disagreement over where the remaining 92 matches of the season would be played.League chiefs believed they would only get the government’s green light to restart if matches were held at a limited number of neutral venues to reduce the medical, police, security and broadcast personnel required.A number of clubs near the bottom of the table have spoken openly of their opposition to the plan as they believe it would increase the risk of being relegated.”With all these compromises and health risks we are asked to finish a competition that bears no resemblance to the one we started,” Watford’s chairman and chief executive Scott Duxbury told the club’s website.Those higher up the table are also concerned at the prospect of having to reimburse sponsors who have paid for naming rights on their stadiums.”I think everybody would prefer to play home and away if at all possible. And I think it’s clear to see that some clubs feel more strongly about that than others,” added Masters.”We are in contact with the authorities and listening to that advice while also representing club views in those discussions.”The prospect of appeasing the clubs struggling at the bottom by ruling out relegation this season also appears over after the English Football Association rejected that idea and told the Premier League that final standings must be based on “sporting merit” if no more games can be played.Masters admitted the Premier League had for the first time held discussions on how the league would be decided if matches cannot restart, but said no clubs had asked for relegation to be scrapped.”All I can go on is what we’re discussing in our meetings. And you specifically asked about scrapping relegation while playing out the season, and that has never been raised in our formal meetings at all,” he said.”It was the first time we discussed curtailment – it’s still our aim to finish the season obviously but it’s important to discuss all the options with our clubs.”No conclusions were reached on any other models. Those are future conversations we may need to have.” Brighton confirmed on Sunday that a third member of their squad had tested positive.Cases have also been found in squads in Germany, where the Bundesliga is due to restart this weekend, as well as Italy, Spain and Portugal in recent days.”We have protocols created and reviewed, we have a testing company appointed, but the important consultation with players and managers is the next step,” said Premier League CEO Richard Masters.”No decisions will be made until after we have talked to players and managers and those meetings are scheduled for later this week.” Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he believed the return of sport on TV would “provide a much-needed boost to national morale.”Supporters face a long wait to be allowed to attend matches, though, with the latest guidelines recognizing a return to sport in front of a crowd “may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections”.Premier League clubs had been planning for a return to action no earlier than the week beginning June 8.Before the resumption of matches can be considered, protocols need to be agreed on how to return to group training safely and on how the Premier League would deal with positive tests. Topics : Premier League clubs received a boost to their hopes of completing the season on Monday as the government published a “roadmap” that could see the return of elite sport in England from June 1.As the 20 English top-flight clubs met for further talks on “Project Restart”, ministers announced plans to ease the coronavirus lockdown.Under step two of that process, which cannot begin any earlier than June 1, sporting events would be allowed “to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact”.last_img read more

Read More →

Serie A group training gets all clear, season decision May 28

Topics : “The important thing will be to restart with the firm intention of completing the championship, then the federations will decide the modalities and formats to be adopted.”The revised protocol will allow group training, but not oblige players to remain permanently in the team’s sports center.In the case of a positive test only the infected player will be placed in two-week’s quarantine, while the team group will be placed in isolation, and monitored, but can continue to train together.FIGC president Gravina praised the decision “as a decisive step on the path of restarting football in Italy”.The Italian season has been on hold since March 9 amid the pandemic which has killed more than 32,000 people in Italy.Serie A teams have been training individually since May 4, and had been hoping to return to competition on June 13.The FIGC pushed that date back to June 14 on Monday in line with a government decree that all sports competitions be suspended until next month. Italy’s Serie A teams have been given the green light to resume group training but will have to wait until May 28 to know whether the season can resume, Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora said on Tuesday.Spadafora told Italian television that government scientists had accepted the Italian football federation’s (FIGC) revised health protocol.”The Scientific Technical Committee have approved the FIGC protocol for the resumption of team training,” Spadafora told Rai. “It is excellent news, collective training can now resume. “The FIGC have reviewed its first proposal with clarifications on the quarantine time in case of a positive test, but above all the famous initial self-isolation is avoided.”Spadafora said he has slated a meeting on May 28 with FIGC president Gabriele Gravina and Lega Serie A chief Paolo Dal Pino to decide on the return to competition.”We will then decide if and when Serie A will restart,” he said.  read more

Read More →

COVID-19: Health Ministry teams up with Docquity to train, recruit frontline volunteers

first_imgThose who have completed their training will be immediately deployed to a number of COVID-19 referral centers across the country, including the emergency hospital at the Kemayoran athletes village in Jakarta, under the government’s assistance.Docquity cofounder Amit Vithal said every volunteer had regularly participated in up to four sessions of online training on various health topics through the platform.“This enables the volunteers to gain new knowledge every day to keep up with the latest developments regarding the COVID-19 situation,” Vithal said in a statement.Read also: COVID-19 leaves lab workers grappling with unprecedented testing scale The Health Ministry has enlisted the support of healthtech start-up Docquity to train and recruit medical volunteers to prevent the healthcare system from becoming overloaded amid the ever-increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the country.Docquity, a member of the Indonesian Telemedicine Association, has recorded 887 doctors – consisting of physicians and medical specialists – on its userbase as of June 11.According to the company, the majority of medical practitioners registered on the digital platform are based in Jakarta; Tangerang, Banten and Bandung, West Java. Indonesian Anesthesiology and Intensive Therapy Association (PERDATIN) chairman Syafri Kamsul Arif, who serves as a tutor for the online training program, said the medical volunteers had also learned various approaches in treating critically-ill COVID-19 patients.“It’s because those who are recruited will mainly be tasked with treating [critically-ill patients], instead of patients on the early onset of the disease or patients under surveillance [PDP],” Syafri said.Demand for qualified health workers has increased significantly amid the health crisis. However, concerns have been raised regarding their safety, especially considering reports of dozens of doctors who had succumbed to the coronavirus disease after working on the frontlines in recent months.The government had previously allocated Rp 5.9 trillion (US$417.6 million) to be given as incentives to medical workers treating confirmed COVID-19 patients. However, many medical workers have reported that they had yet to receive any of such incentives.Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Chinese authorities take over closed US consulate in Chengdu

first_imgTensionsTensions have soared between the world’s two biggest economic powers on a range of fronts including trade, China’s handling of the novel coronavirus and a tough new security law for Hong Kong, with US officials warning of a “new tyranny” from China.The last Chinese diplomats left the Houston consulate last Friday, with officials there seen loading large sacks of documents and other items onto trucks, and throwing some in bins.Beijing said Saturday that US agents “forcibly” entered the Houston consulate, which it said was “China’s national property”.Its statement warned that “China will make a proper and necessary response in this regard”.Nationalistic tabloid the Global Times warned in an editorial Monday that if Washington was “determined to push China-US ties in the worst direction… the 21st century will be darker and even more explosive than the Cold War era”.It said the rising tensions could lead to “unprecedented catastrophe”. Chinese authorities took over the United States consulate in Chengdu on Monday, the foreign ministry said, days after Beijing ordered it to close in retaliation for the shuttering of its mission in Houston.Earlier in the morning state broadcaster CCTV showed footage of the American flag being lowered, after diplomatic tensions soared between the two powers with both alleging the other had endangered national security.Beijing later confirmed the consulate had closed at 10am (0200 GMT). “Afterwards, Chinese authorities entered through the front entrance and took it over,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.Relations deteriorated in recent weeks in a Cold War-style standoff, with the Chengdu mission Friday ordered to shut in retaliation for the forced closure of Beijing’s consulate in Houston, Texas.Both consulates closed 72 hours after the original order was made.The road leading to the Chengdu mission was closed on Monday, with police and cordons blocking the way. State media reported that staff members had left the compound at around 6 am Monday morning.Over the weekend, removal trucks entered the site and cleaners were seen carting large black rubbish bags from the consulate, and on Saturday AFP reporters saw workers removing the US insignia from the front of the building.A constant stream of onlookers in the city of 16.5 million flowed past the building over the weekend, many taking photos.The US consulate in the city covered China’s southwest, including Tibet. Many Tibetans accuse the central government of religious repression and eroding their culture.Beijing says closing the consulate was a “legitimate and necessary response to the unreasonable measures by the United States”, and has alleged that staff at the diplomatic mission endangered China’s security and interests.Foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told reporters that some US staff in the Chengdu consulate “were engaged in activities outside of their capacity, interfered in China’s internal affairs, and endangered China’s security and interests”.Washington officials, meanwhile, said there had been unacceptable efforts by the Chinese consulate in Houston to steal US corporate secrets and proprietary medical and scientific research. Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

New Zealand suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong

first_imgBeijing imposed new legislation on the former British colony earlier this month despite protests from Hong Kongers and Western nations, setting the financial hub on a more authoritarian track.Australia, Canada and the UK all suspended extradition treaties with Hong Kong earlier this month. US President Donald Trump has ended preferential economic treatment for Hong Kong.Peters said New Zealand will treat military and dual-use goods and technology exports to Hong Kong in the same way as it treats such exports to China as part of a review of its overall relationship with Hong Kong.Travel advice has been updated to alert New Zealanders to the risks presented by the new security law, he added.China is New Zealand’s largest trading partner, with annual two-way trade recently exceeding NZ$32 billion ($21 billion).New Zealand’s ties with China have frayed recently after the pacific nation backed Taiwan’s participation at the World Health Organization (WHO).  Topics : New Zealand has suspended its extradition treaty with Hong Kong and made a number of other changes following China’s decision to pass a national security law for the territory, Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters said on Tuesday.”New Zealand can no longer trust that Hong Kong’s criminal justice system is sufficiently independent from China,” Peters said in a statement.”If China in future shows adherence to the ‘one country, two systems’ framework then we could reconsider this decision.”last_img read more

Read More →