SANTA ANITA’S ONE MILE MAIN TRACK REOPENS FOR LIMITED TRAINING

first_imgSANTA ANITA’S ONE MILE MAIN TRACK REOPENS FOR LIMITED TRAINING AS HORSES JOG & GALLOP OVER SURFACE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE MONDAYSIX FURLONG TRAINING TRACK OPENS FOR WORKERS, AS 133 HORSES RECEIVE OFFICIAL CLOCKINGS                                ARCADIA, Calif. (March 11, 2019)–Santa Anita Park’s one mile main track reopened for limited training Monday morning as horses jogged and galloped from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m., with three interruptions for regularly scheduled renovations.Additionally, Santa Anita’s six furlong inner training track was reopened for timed workouts, as 133 horses received official clockings for breezes at distances from two furlongs to six furlongs (three quarters of mile).“Everything went well this morning,” said Santa Anita track consultant Dennis Moore, who has headed efforts into examining and refining the one mile surface since training and racing were suspended early last week.  “The main track is good.  All of the test data support what we experienced this morning and that is, it’s where it should be.”As to when the one mile main track will reopen for workouts, Moore indicated that if all continues to go well with limited training, a return to timed breezes could come in the next day or two.As for today’s workout activity on the inner training track, the clockings were modest in nature as three horses breezed two furlongs, the fastest being clocked at 26 seconds flat; 36.40 was the fastest of nine works at three furlongs; 48.40 was the fastest of 61 horses at four furlongs (half mile); one minute flat was the top time out of 54 works for five furlongs and 1:14.60 was the quickest of six works at six furlongs.“I worked six horses on the training track and it’s great,” said veteran conditioner Vladimir Cerin.  “I’ve had 10 horses out on the main track and it really couldn’t be any better.  It’s so kind, you can’t hear the horses going by and all of my riders say they’re (the horses) getting a good hold of the surface.  We could work horses on it right now, no question.”Today’s workouts were the first conducted under Santa Anita’s new training protocols, which require that all trainers intending to get timed workouts for their horses get permission for same 24 hours in advance. This has been instituted to allow time to review each horse’s racing and training history, and if necessary, physically examine horses in advance of these timed workouts. Additionally, each horse was observed going to and from the racetrack by a team of two track veterinarians.While a return to live racing is expected in the near future, Moore and track officials will continue to evaluate the main track during and following morning training before any official decision with regard to a return to racing is made.For additional information, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE.last_img read more

Read More →

LIME Foundation provides support for Sunshine Girls

first_imgThe LIME Foundation has provided support to the tune of $500,000 for the Sunshine Girls as they prepare to compete at next month’s Netball World Cup in Sydney, Australia.Speaking at the handover which took place at the LIME corporate office yesterday, Marva Bernard, president of Netball Jamaica, expressed gratitude to the company saying: “We are deeply humbled that after all these years LIME still has a line to the Sunshine Girls and has found it fit to continue this relationship and support these young people (the team) on their quest.”It takes a lot to send 22 persons to Sydney and we are happy that LIME has not only answered our call for support, but also has provided an avenue for the average Jamaican to get on board,” Bernard continued. Currently, donations are being accepted via text line (444-GIVE) hosted by LIME.Courtney Bell, community programmes manager, who made the presentation on behalf of the LIME Foundation, said the company was glad to contribute.”We are happy to be able to cheer on the Sunshine Girls on their quest for ‘gold’ and our donation is a signal of our ongoing commitment to Jamaica’s youth.” Bell also encouraged members of the public to contribute through the text line.LIME’s involvement with the Sunshine Girls began in 1999 with the donation of the national team bus. The company was also the lead sponsor of the World Netball Championships, hosted in Jamaica in 2003.last_img read more

Read More →

US Open returns to Sunday men’s final

first_imgNEW YORK (AP):For the first time since 2007, the US Open men’s final could be played on a Sunday.That is the traditional final day of a Grand Slam tennis tournament – including in New York – until five straight years of rain, followed by a two-year schedule change partly prompted by that wet weather, pushed the last match to Monday. Now, under the US Tennis Association’s new TV contract with ESPN, the sport’s fourth major of the season will look like the first three.Gone for good is “Super Saturday”, the old format pairing the men’s semis and women’s final. The men get their desired day off between the last two rounds, while the women’s semis are now in Thursday prime time.”‘Super Saturday’ was great, but the intensity of the game and the physicality of the game really made that inappropriate,” said Gordon Smith, the USTA’s executive director, adding it became clear in the last 5-7 years that it wasn’t viable for the top men to play hugely important five-set matches on back-to-back days.”It wasn’t fair to the players, and it wasn’t fair to the fans,” Smith said.After rain postponed the men’s final to Monday from 2008-12, the USTA decided before the 2013 edition to plan for a 15-day tournament from the start – a temporary fix under CBS’s contract at the time to air the late rounds. That meant no “Super Saturday” and the day off for the men they had long been lobbying for.”The problem was, before, it was ‘Super Saturday’ and Sunday, and I know it was very popular with the fans … but you could have 12 days of beautiful sunshine, and then one rain and everything would be all over the place,” said five-time US Open champ Roger Federer, who’s thrilled one day of rain will no longer be a problem next year once the roof over Arthur Ashe Stadium is completed.last_img read more

Read More →

Minibus conductor in Herstelling accident succumbs

first_img… driver on .5M bailFollowing the death of the minibus conductor who succumbed to his injuries two days after the Herstelling, East Bank Demerara (EBD), minibus accident, the driver was charged on Friday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts with causing death by dangerous driving.The minibus involved in the accidentKevin Ferrel was granted bail by Magistrate Judy Latchman in the sum of $1.5 million. Ferrel pleaded not guilty to the charge which stated that on October 11, 2016, at the Herstelling Public Road, EBD, he drove a minibus bearing registration plates BVV 901 in a manner dangerous to the public, thereby causing the death of Leonard Henry.Attorney Stanley Moore, who represented the defendant, made an application for Ferrel to be granted his pre-trial liberty pending the outcome of the matter. His application for bail was on the basis that his client is not a flight risk, neither is he likely to interfere with the prosecution’s witnesses.The Police Prosecutor told the court that he had no objections to bail. As such, Ferrel was granted bail and ordered to return to court on November 1, for statements before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.The court heard that the deceased was the owner of the bus.According to reports, just before 10:00h on Tuesday last, the driver of the Route 42 minibus lost control of the vehicle, causing it to crash into a utility pole before toppling on its left side. The accident occurred a short distance from the Providence Police Station.Additional reports reaching Guyana Times indicate that when the minibus toppled, the conductor’s head was pinned under the vehicle.A passenger who was in the bus spoke to this newspaper, relating that the bus was heading to Georgetown and as it was navigating the ‘S’ turn at Herstelling, it encountered problems.“The bus start wobbling like something wrong with the back wheel and when the bus go around the turn, it start wobbling more bad. (The driver) couldn’t pull breaks cause if he do that, everybody in the bus woulda look bad,” the man recalled.However, he continued that “the alternative the driver had to (take) was turn the bus to go over the other side (eastern carriage way) but when the bus turn, it fall on the one side.”According to the passenger who sustained injuries to his left arm and shoulder, the conductor sustained the most severe injuries as he was bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth.“Well the bus fall on (the conductor) head, how he deh on the road, the bus fall on his head… I went right behind he but I couldn’t help he cause I was in a bad state. All I do was try to run out the bus and try to check meh self,” the man recalled.The other passengers with serious injuries were 16-year-old Jessica Saywanauth who sustained injuries to her back and a 52-year-old Chinese national, Jing Bin Su, who was injured to the back of his neck.This newspaper also spoke to a few other passengers who sustained minor injuries and they claimed the bus was speeding.Meanwhile, construction workers nearby told Guyana Times that they heard the loud impact and subsequently saw the bus on its side. Public spirited citizens along with Police Officers from the nearby station rushed to the scene, and assisted in pulling the passengers from the overturned vehicle. They were then placed into another minibus and taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre, where most of them were treated and sent away while Henry, Saywanauth and Jing Bin Su were transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital for further treatment.last_img read more

Read More →

Press Pass – Sunday, July 19

first_imgHost Matt Smith is joined in the studio by Michael Calvin and The Times’ Matt Hughes to discuss all the week’s sporting action.The guys discuss the biggest Premier League transfers of the week, including Fabian Delph’s Man City switch U-turn and Chelsea’s pursuit of Everton’s John Stones, plus England’s disastrous second Ashes Test defeat and all the latest from the 2015 Open Championship.There’s also all the latest transfer rumours from around Europe, with Gareth Bale thought to be on Man United’s radar, while Aston Villa are set to move for Emmanuel Adebayor to replace Liverpool-bound striker Christian Benteke.last_img

Read More →

PICTURE SPECIAL: RORY GETS DUNLEWEY ROCKING TO ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’

first_imgAodh Máirtín Ó Fearraigh makes sure Rory has a ticket for the Big One!WE knew The Revs were good.In case you’d forgotten, Rory Gallagher (last known address Lanzarote) really got the crowd going on his homecoming gig in Dunlewey last night.The GAA fundraiser pulled in a huge crowd. And they were all most there to hear the Kilcar man belt out ‘Jimmy’s Winning Matches’.But they also heard him play some fantastic numbers; with excellent support.Pictures from Brid Sweeney for donegaldaily.com!      PICTURE SPECIAL: RORY GETS DUNLEWEY ROCKING TO ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’ was last modified: September 19th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:PICTURE SPECIAL: RORY GETS DUNLEWEY ROCKING TO ‘JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES’last_img read more

Read More →

Benitez: Hazard and Swansea ball boy are both to blame

first_imgRafael Benitez insisted both Eden Hazard and the ball boy he kicked were to blame for the incident which led to the Chelsea playmaker’s sending off.Hazard was red-carded 10 minutes from the end of the Capital One Cup semi-final second leg against Swansea, whose 2-0 aggregate win means they will face Bradford in the final.The ball boy appeared to refuse to give the ball back after it went out of play, leading Hazard to show his frustration.And Benitez told Sky Sports: “They both recognise there was a mistake.“The boy was apologising for time wasting. Hazard was frustrated and tried to get the ball. He was kicking the ball and getting the ball.“We can analyse if for half an hour but we know that both are wrong.”The interim Chelsea manager added: “You have two legs in this competition and we didn’t take our chances in either. Credit to Swansea because they did well.”More reaction to follow later.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Read More →

Jacks drop series to Sonoma State after Saturday’s twin bill split

first_imgRohnert Park >> After scoring a paltry two runs in their previous three games against conference-rival Sonoma State, the Humboldt State softball team’s offense shook off the slumber to salvage the final game of a Saturday doubleheader, 7-3, at Seawolves Softball Field.HSU (33-11 overall, 21-10 California Collegiate Athletic Association), which scored one run in losing both games of Friday’s doubleheader to the Seawolves, fell behind 2-0 after the first inning of game one when Sonoma State’s …last_img

Read More →

Life360 Protects Your Family & Property Via Web, Mobile, & More

first_imgTop Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#web Related Posts A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Life360 is often described as an “OnStar for life,” providing its users with tools to track and protect people and things through a variety of interfaces.The company offers IRL services such as child identification paraphernalia, medical IDs, and credit and identity protection; but they also have a cool suite of features that revolve around Internet and mobile tracking of people, objects, and even pets. Their Android application for tracking and securely messaging people even netted them a seed round from GoogleThe concept for the company, which was founded in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, revolves around disaster preparedness and emergency messaging. Currently, the available features include an emergency messenger that uses email, web, SMS, and phone to get messages through to emergency contacts; a thorough, web-enabled ID service that gives first responders instant access to critical information; a service for cataloging and tracking valuable items via coded tags; and identity protection services.The mobile tracking feature – which got the company a $300,000 investment from Google – allows users to locate family members using the web interface or the mobile application. Custom privacy settings allow users to find loved ones in an emergency, check their locations, see their statuses, and retrace their previous locations. While the company states this will not make family members feel stalked, we see this app as Cheaters fodder as well as a great way to keep track of the ones you care about most during times of crisis.The Android app allows users to access all their Life360 services from their phones. Right now, Android devices are supported, with a BlackBerry app coming soon and an iPhone app stuck in App Store purgatory.Another “coming soon” service we thought was cool – and also excellent Cheaters fodder – is a GPS-enabled tracking dongle that can be thrown in a bag, duct-taped to the underside of a car, tossed onto a pet’s collar, stapled to a child – you name it. Life360 founder Chris Hulls told us in an email that he hopes to roll out the hardware within the next six months. “There will be an additional fee, probably in the neighborhood of $100 for the device and $10 per month for each tracked person,” he said.Some other GPS- and mobile-enabled features Hulls plans to release within the next year are a Curfew 2.0 app, a check-in system for “distributed” families to touch base, and customized alerts for emergency notifications in a user’s specific location.center_img jolie odell Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Read More →

Sydney Airport Introduces Hindi at Wayfinding Kiosks

first_imgSydney Airport has introduced Hindi at its wayfinding kiosks, which will help Indians get details related to the right directions, flight-related updates and information regarding shops, cafes or other facilities, in the Indian language.  Hindi has been introduced in the Australian wayfinding system keeping in mind the growing number of Indian nationals travelling to the country.  Sydney Airport’s international terminal, Terminal 1, has added Hindi and Arabic at its 17 wayfinding kiosks, according to the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS). With the addition of these languages, the total number of languages available at the  kiosks has become nine. The other languages being offered at the kiosks are English, French, German, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. Sydney Airport says that the step to introduce Hindi and Arabic was taken to cater to the growth of tourism markets of India and the Middle East. It is also an attempt to enhance the airport experience for all passengers through the use of technology, the report added. “We’re pleased to add Hindi and Arabic to the list of available languages. We continue to see strong visitor numbers from India and through the Middle East, with 16.5 per cent year-to-date growth from India,” Sydney Airport CEO  Geoff Culbert was quoted as saying in the report. “This increasing number of visitors contributes significantly to tourism, economic growth and job creation in New South Wales,” he added. Culbert said that the information available in various languages will make things easier for the travelers. “Our multi-lingual wayfinding kiosks play an important role in making travelers from around the world feel welcome here in Sydney,” he said. Citing Census 2016 data, SBS reported that India is one of the top five sources of immigrants in Australia. Data also shows that Hindi-speaking population has been increasing significantly in the last five years in the country. Hindi comes among the top 10 languages spoken in Australia. There are 159,652 Hindi speakers in Australia, which makes Hindi the top Indian language spoken at home in Australia, according to latest census data. Hindi also continues to remain the most widely spoken Indian language in the United States, followed closely by Gujarati and Telugu, according to recent American Community Data released by the U.S. Census Bureau.  Related ItemsAustraliaHindiSydneylast_img read more

Read More →